Thursday, March 15, 2012

Can't Fiddle, but Ticklin' the Ivories

This will be my final blog about this year's
Fiddlers' Convention.  I wanted to share a 
few sights from that fun evening.  Here I
am with friends and supporters Jeanette
and Cy.  I met them at the hospital, where
we are all volunteers.  I later learned that
my other volunteer buddies Jim and Lyn
were present (up near the rafters) along
with their lovely ladies.  I had many other
friends who were there, including quite
a crowd from church.

It was worth waiting around past midnight
for the winners to be announced.  As you'll
note on my gold wristband, I was entrant
# 13.  But I've never been superstitious.

The following pictures are just a sampling
of the types of groups that performed.  Note
that each of these three features at least one
young performer.  One of the hallmarks of
this event is the encouragement of young
musicians and dancers.  And if you could 
hear the way they sing, pick, and clog,
you'd appreciate how this family friendly
venue is passing along valuable traditions
in our community and around the state.



North Moore's stadium seating is ideal for
everyone to have a good seat.  This picture
shows you there were almost no empty seats.
And this is only part of the lower section 
of the auditorium.

I took a brief side trip to the practice room,
where groups tuned up and loosened up
their vocal cords.  I don't normally go there,
since there's no piano anyway.

I performed just a little after 8:00 and 
returned to my seat to photograph the
cloggers of all ages, a perennial favorite.

Only acoustic instruments are allowed.
Most common are fiddle, string bass,
guitar, banjo, dobro.  There was one
harmonica player.  I keep waiting to 
see an autoharp player (like Mother
Maybelle Carter) or a hammer dulcimer.
I'm very thankful they include the piano,
which many fiddlers' conventions don't.

This video shows a good bunch of 
pickers, plus the top two prize-winning
cloggers (stage right) who can't resist
stepping to this tune.


This high-energy group does some fast
picking and has good harmony.

This final video is the best fiddle player
I heard at this year's convention.  He
really won the audience's admiration with
this version of "Orange Blossom Special"
which was part Charlie Daniels, part
Vasser Clements.
If you haven't been to the Highfalls Fiddlers'
Convention, you might want to put it on your
calendar for next year.  It's always the second
Saturday of March.  And you might need to
get there early to get a good seat-- the crowd
seems to be growing every year.

No comments: