Saturday, March 31, 2012

Raven Rock State Park: a great day trip

My next two posts will elaborate on our
day trip to Raven Rock that I mentioned
briefly in Friday's blog.  This lovely state
park was only a 50 minute ride from our
house and even closer for some of my 
readers.  It's 20 miles east of Sanford, NC
off U.S. 421.  After turning off, follow
Raven Rock Road for three miles to the
park entrance.

It has been about 25 years since Judy and
I have visited the park and the facilities are
vastly improved.  There is a well-appointed
visitors center, nice rest rooms, and spacious 
picnic area where most of the trails begin.

There are informative displays and helpful
staff in the visitors center.  It pays to ask
specific questions about the trails, etc.

Before lunch we hiked two short trails,
The Longleaf Loop Trail and the
American Beech Trail.  After a great
picnic we were energized for the 2.6
mile Raven Rock Loop Trail.

A variety of wildflowers lined the trail.

I'm always on the lookout for oddities in
nature.  If you'll look closely, the sign post
identifying this unfortunate pine tree is
Number 13! There's a lesson to be learned.

Beautiful Carolina Jasmine was abundant,
just as it is in our own Moore  County.

We encountered the largest patch of ground
cedar, a creeping cover plant, that I had
ever seen.

Here's a closeup.  I love this stuff.

Hollow trees fascinate me and 
trigger my imagination.

Alongside a stream were these single-leafed
Cranefly Orchids.  Because it's a state park
I couldn't dig one up to show you its pearly root.

These "fiddletops" are the emerging new
fronds of ferns.

As we approached the descent to the 
Cape Fear River, I spied a familiar favorite
plant covering the huge branches of a tree.
This is Resurrection Fern, the most unusual
fern I know.

This fern attaches to tree limbs, from which
is draws moisture.  In dry weather the small
fronds totally dry up and appear dead.

But with a refreshing spring rain, they
"spring" back to life again.  Their resurrection
is a timely reminder of the Easter season.

Here was another single-leafed plant that
I could not verify was the Cranefly Orchid.
The leaves were similar but not identical.
Further study required.

Here's our obligatory picture beneath the
famed Raven Rock.

Another unique hollow tree.

These standing dead trees, called snags,
are vital to the ecology of all woodlands.

Judy spotted a budding tree that neither
of us were familiar with.  Not until I returned
home to consult my guide books did I 
decide this is a Paw Paw Tree, which often
grows at water's edge among other tree varieties.

The roots are the lifeline of all trees, and 
it's amazing how they go to great lengths
(literally) to get that life-giving aqua vita).

Adjacent to these ferns are the low-growing
Galax plants, once harvested and sold by
the trainload near Galax, Virginia.

Judy promptly christened this unusual
formation as a "Reading Tree."

That name is most appropriate, and if
I had had a book or the time to read it,
I might have tried harder to climb this
tree.  But having neither, I decided it
wasn't worth injuring myself.  We still
had miles to walk.

In the post to follow, I'll feature the incredible
snake that made my day, plus many more views
of Raven Rock itself.



No comments: