Friday, January 9, 2009

Updates and Random Thoughts

What a difference a week makes. Mama moved from hospital to rehab yesterday, and Buddy reports that she was enthusiastic about the move. She saw familiar surroundings and some familiar staff, but the main thing is she knows rehab is one step closer to returning home! He said she was her perkiest yet this morning and her therapists praised her motivation and effort. He also said she tells everyone she's going to be a great grandmother, and even tells them when the babies are due! So much for any thoughts of being confused (unless you mean the rest of us). Buddy will share with her some of the kind, encouraging words many of you have expressed to me on her behalf. Keep on praying, please!

I encourage you to visit Jennifer's and Amanda's blogs (click on the sidebar--Green Grass and The Talbert Report). They have been telling about some of our Christmas time in Atlanta and have many other day-to-day topics of interest.

Judy and I have tried to catch up on things around the house this week. Besides frequent phone check-ins with Buddy and Daddy, and the obligatory three meals a day, we've had time to play a few card games. Our new favorite is "Five Crowns," and I doubt if anyone else in North Carolina except Amanda ever heard of it, but it's great. We also started a medium-challenging puzzle with 88 film celebraties of Hollywood's golden age. The hard part is, there's no picture to go by. I haven't done a jigsaw like that before. We're trying to get back into a walking routine and not use chilly weather for an excuse. I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, but I have taken a few more baby steps toward a healthier diet. Even more fruits, plus lots of almonds. Smaller quantities--sometimes--and trying to be conservative about finishing all those Christmas snacks that are still around. I've gotten a variety of exercise this week, plus plenty of sleep. I've tilled the garden, split wood, and done a little pre-Spring cleaning.

Well, I know this sounds boring to you guys, because it sounds somewhat boring to me! But believe me, retirement is something that allows you to take a deeper-than-usual pleasure in the simple things, and I'm striving to master that! No pictures to liven up this post, but I have more interesting blog posts in the works!

No comments: