Monday, January 4, 2010

Back to School-- for Some

For millions of teachers and schoolkids, today was back to school day. For 49 of my 56 years alive that was the case for me, too. But not today. Neither as a student nor a teacher did I truly look forward to returning to school after long breaks. It was hard! But during my 33 years of teaching, I came to realize that though I couldn't avoid the nervous anticipation (okay--dread), after the first few minutes with the students I loved, everything would be okay.

In fact, for my own mental health and that of my kids, I made every effort to make that first day back in January a special one. Every activity was designed to launch us into a new adventure and propel us toward our goals for the year.

In Social Studies, we would begin reading of the heroes and battles of the American Revolution. In Science, January meant an in-depth study of the universe. Three December and January meteor showers were a great lead-in for that. And January and February are great times to study the constellations and the mythology that goes with them. My favorite is Orion, the Hunter, especially since Jennifer and Amanda had a small star in that sector named after me several years ago! (Still the most unusual gift I've ever received, I think)

Students would also enter to see our Christmas bulletin board replaced by glossy action prints from The Lord of the Rings. Reading that marvelous work of fantasy and literature carried us through those cold winter days as we daily gathered on the floor, lights off, to hear the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and meet many startling characters along the way.

We would launch into the deep waters of Math and advanced reading and language as we prepared in earnest for those End-of-Grade tests. The trick was, never to let the tests become the only thing. Most children don't mind the rigorous work as long as there are periods of fun, relaxation, and play interspersed. And if you can turn the work into play, so much the better.

Yes, I miss many things about those days, but I have no regrets about the perfect timing of my retirement. And I'm still able to dabble in the activities I loved best by visiting school and by sharing my interests in other settings.

Changing directions a bit, but still speaking of school, the current classroom construction project at Sandhills Farm Life is coming along splendidly. They hope to begin using six new classrooms next fall. What teachers are most excited about is that there may actually be additional rest rooms! Teachers are realistic people. : )


Let's take a look . . .



Oh, I hope you didn't get all excited about that picture--that's FirstHealth's new Heart Center.

Here are a couple of snapshots of our much more modest, tax-payer-funded building addition. Where, by the way, hearts will also be treated with tender loving care. And where minds will be challenged and strengthened. It will be money well spent.


And, though our project is smaller in scope than FirstHealth's, we have a crane, too! Here it is silhouetted against a backdrop of the existing building and a Carolina blue sky.
A bit of history for you. The building in this photo houses our kindergartners, fourth graders, and media center. It was under construction in 1975, the year I began my career at Farm Life. Only a sheet of plywood separated the construction from my very first classroom in the original building which has since been demolished (1990). I spent half my career in the classroom whose entrance you see here. Great years, with my faithful partner Dawn Horne. Smile Dawn, I know you're reading this! : )
This year, we will celebrate 150 years of having a school on this site. The lobby has been appropriately adorned. And seeing the new building near completion will generate enthusiasm for the next chapter in this illustrious saga.

The students are ready. They're eager. They're waiting. And our challenge is to continue to motivate them, encourage them, prepare them. And as fearless leader Nora McNeill never fails to remind us, LOVE THEM!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I did....smile

I was....reading!!