Friday, January 22, 2010

Blast From the Past

I'm surprised I haven't used that title before. And will Blogspot allow me to use it again? Because I've got lots of ideas to share in the coming months that will be nostalgic to many of my former students. Today I have a skit that I wrote for American Education Week during the 1987-88 school year. Yes, Jennifer, that was the year YOU were in my class. And a very good year it was.

This skit was written as a play. I'm going to present it as such with first names and initials of the characters. That's my feeble attempt at maintaining privacy for the participants. If you can identify them, feel free to contact them and invite them to share the memories. Without further ado, I present. . .

An Interview With the President:
American Education Week
Narrator (Kevin W.): Ladies and Gentlemen-- the President of the United States (Bodyguard-- Bryan H.)
Mr. President (Matthew L.): I am happy to be meeting with you reporters during American Education Week. Who would like to begin the press conference?
Reporter 1: Mr. President, I am Adam Mc. of the Fayetteville Times. What can be done about our problems of crime and unemployment?
Pres.: These are two important problems, Mr. Mc., and they go together closely. First, we must understand that many people turn to crime because they cannot get a good job. They may not be able to get a job because they never got a good education. If we can give all Americans a better education we can solve two problems at once.
Reporter 2: Mr. President, I am Kasey H. of the Charlotte Observer. I have two questions for you. First, how can we keep our country out of war, and second, how can make sure young Americans love their country?
Pres.: Ms H., I feel that to promote a love of our country and peace with other countries, we must turn again to education. By studying history we learn of other countries and understand them better. This, in turn, helps us to live peacefully as neighbors. and I strongly believe that Americans must learn about the great men and women of American History to appreciate the freedoms we enjoy today.
Reporter 3: Mr. President, I am Jennifer L. of the Raleigh News and Observer. What can be done about the problems of pollution and health care?
Pres.: Ms. L., we have learned that people can do much to stop pollution if they know about the problem. They can also do much to stay healthy if they know what to do. In school, boys and girls should work hard in Science, Health, and Physical Education. Through a good education they can learn to take care of our world and keep their own body healthy.
Reporter 4: Mr. President, I am Andrew M. of the Trojan Times. Parents of students at Sandhills Farm Life are worried that they will have trouble filling out their new income tax forms this year. Do you have any suggestions?
Pres.: Yes, I do, Mr. M. They should ask their children for help. The children at Farm Life are getting an excellent Math education and the Internal Revenue Service has assured me they would have no trouble filling out the new tax forms.
In closing this news conference I have a few remarks. I believe that education is what has made America great. America has free, public education for ALL boys and girls. With that education, you can become whatever you want. Our Constitution promises all of us Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. And the best way to make sure those dreams come true is to get yourself a good education. Thank you.
(Exits to applause)
Now isn't that a lot of propaganda? And it's lacking my trademark humor, which means we must have been performing this for an audience of some sort. I don't remember and I doubt if the participants do, either! Well, that's todays "Blast from the Past."
And, by the way, there's NO PRIZE for guessing the characters correctly. But if you go to the trouble to contact me, I'll reserve a free yard sale toy or book for you. Picking it up will be YOUR problem!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Save me a prize 'cause I remember them all!!! What fun we had!

Ken Loyd said...

I'm so proud of you Dawn! Judy remembered them, too. Now, to see if we hear from any students! (And I always have prizes, so come on down!One I'll save for you is a little "Piggie Letterholder." : )

Kylie said...

mr loyd I wasn't in your class but I know who at least 5 of them are!!!!! That was fantastic and priceless. More more!!!

Jennifer Kirby said...

Propaganda indeed, but good stuff! :) I know all the students too. Thanks for assigning me to the best newspaper!