Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Highfalls 75th Old-Time Fiddlers' Convention

Saturday, March 13 was the 75th Highfalls Old-Time Fiddlers' Convention. The family friendly music fest was held in the North Moore High School auditorium, which was filled to capacity. And there were always people milling in the lobby, leaning on the walls, and bands practicing in backrooms or on the sidewalks.

The family-friendly event kicked off with numerous acts competing for Most Promising Young Talent. Many were quite good, and in fact most were promising. I think it's great that families are getting their young children interested in traditional music. This convention gives them a non-threatening environment with an appreciative (and patient) crowd.


There were also cloggers galore, young and old. A lot of fast-paced tapping took place on that stage.


The Highfalls School children sang and clogged for us.


Here's one of many family bands and other informal groups that performed together. Besides bands, individuals were judged on Fiddle, Vocals, Bass Fiddle, Banjo, Dobro, Guitar, Mandolin, Piano, and Dancing.


During periodic breaks we were entertained by the lively romping music of Eva Mae on the piano and Clyde Maness on the bass fiddle. Not many young folks can imitate their classic style.

It was well past 9:30 when my number was called. Judy snapped this shot of me at the piano from her seat in the audience.

Late in the evening, I was delighted to see my friend Harold Pickett featured in "Folsom Prison Blues." I've posted more about Harold in yesterday's blog. Some of his Facebook friends have been dropping by to view his video. That's Harold in the center with the hat.

Here I am at home three days later, wearing my new Fiddlers' Convention T-shirt. I've recorded the medley of songs that I performed and the video appears at the end of this blog.
I did win 1st place in the piano competition for the second year. Two other gentlemen competed very capably with a style I loved. My medley consisted of:
  • The Wabash Cannonball
  • I Am a Pilgrim
  • Jambalaya
  • Hey, Good Lookin'
  • The Battle of New Orleans
  • The Darktown Strutters Ball
  • The William Tell Overture (The Lone Ranger Theme)

The Fiddlers' Convention is held on the second Saturday of March each year. Why not put it on your calendar and join the fun in 2011? I'm already working on my next medley.

3 comments:

'Tracey Garner said...

Congrats on your win!! I guess Amanda, Judy and I will be in a book exchange. You and I will be in a puzzle exchange. LOL Loved your blog.

Dawn said...

Bravo!!!

Jimmy said...

Congrats Mr Loyd! Man listening to you play brought me back to the old sing a longs.
Jimmy