Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pots-Pourri / Snow-Pourri

Sometimes us bloggers don't have the problem of nothing to blog about-- instead, it's too much! So to catch up, I'm throwing together a little sampler of what's been going on around the Loyd place in the last few days. (Apologies for misplaced text in this blog--Blogspot was not cooperating with me and I gave up getting the appearance the way I wanted it.)

First of all, today, March 3, 2010, marks the third anniversary of Judy's successful liver transplant. It was on a Saturday just as we were about to head out to lunch that Chapel Hill called. Shortly after midnight that night her surgeon informed me the transplant had been a success. Judy has come through a lot and been an inspiration to many people in showing how rich and full post-transplant life can be. It's all about faith. The picture that heads up my blog today is from our two-year transplant anniversary. The three-year celebration will be coming as soon as we can get all the family in the same place. Not an easy task!

Now, for other newsworthy items:

I've been busy harvesting next year's wood supply. Our best firewood is down to one long row, but with the moderation in the weather that is finally arriving, we should have some wood left over.
This is some of last year's harvest while still down in the woods. I should have even more this year.





















Let me once again sing the praises of this wood-cart, the Load Dumper. A Father's Day gift from Amanda, Stephen, Jennifer, and Matt several years ago, it has proven to be equal to the toughest tasks I can offer.
THANKS AGAIN, you guys! I LOVE YOU! (Come sit by our fire anytime!)


The chainsaw and Load Dumper provide me with much-needed aerobic AND strength exercise.


Last week I pulled out our tiller (courtesy of stimulus money) and prepared our three small garden plots. Just one more sign that Spring is just around the corner. I added quite a bit of compost from Judy's prolific compost pile, plus some lime and cotton seed meal to improve the soil.

Another welcome sign of Spring is these lovely crocuses which adorn our front yard. They close overnight but open in all their glory to the morning sun. More Spring flower and shrub pictures coming soon.


















Back to the woods, I have a story to tell. When we sold our timber two years ago many tall pines were cut, but new growth has already sprung up. This "resurrection" is the way God designed things.
This young holly tree (like all evergreens, a symbol of eternal life) has appeared right beside the stump of our largest and oldest pine tree.




















The pictures can't adequately portray the magnitude of this pine's size, but I place these gloves on the stump to accentuate its more than 3 foot diameter. TWO adults could scarcely join hands to reach around it.
A bit of trivia-- in an old 8mm movie entitled "The Pursuit of Happiness", my old pal Al Lancaster (the sheriff) chased me (an escaped convict) around this tree. That was some 30 years ago!



















The new holly with old "Father Pine."


























Below: Any tree that can make my size 13 shoe look this small was massive indeed!
























And then came the snow. Yesterday, March 2, and continuing overnight, we received at least our third batch of wintry delight. That is something to celebrate here in the Sandhills of NC, where we often just miss the snow.



















Admittedly, the amount is small and it won't linger long, but it was wonderful watching those big flakes in the daytime, then seeing it all start up again under our floodlights, just before midnight.


.
















No sledding or such this time. But we pause to give thanks for the variety of ways God blesses us and touches our hearts. We've all heard how each snowflake is unique. As different as the snowflakes are, they still know how to stick together. We humans are uniquely created, too. Somehow, we have a harder time sticking together, but believe me, it can be done.



















Soon, I'll share my latest updates on little Claire and Brianna. Stay tuned.








































And that's it for Pots-Pourri / Snow Pourri. Thanks for dropping by.

1 comment:

'Tracey Garner said...

A very Happy Anniversary to Judy!!!