Friday, February 26, 2010

THAT WAS EASY! or Why I Love Staples

Wait, you're in the right place. You may think you're at Amanda's Frugal Report blog, but I assure you, you're in the right place.

I have been a huge fan of Staples ever since I got a Teacher Reward card a few years ago and began getting some healthy discounts. Then, when I had the first copies of my book printed in 2007, no printer could come close to Staples price, plus, I still earned rewards.

Staples adjusts their Rewards program periodically, but it always involves a coupon that's as good as cash-- not just a discount. And it can be applied to any purchase.

Sometimes they really outdo themselves. Last October I needed to reprint a few dozen copies of my book. Lo and behold! Staples was offering 50% rewards on all print orders until mid-November. So I had plenty of time to calculate about how many I wanted and placed my order. The price would have been reasonable anyway compared to their competitors. But 50% rewards for me meant that I would eventually be getting a store coupon for $154.00. I said $154. 00.

Now that money doesn't go as far at Staples as it would at Wal-mart. Staples is pretty high-priced and doesn't carry a lot of the things I would have purchased if I'd had an equal amount of money at Wal-mart (like birdseed, garden supplies, tarps for the woodpile).

But needless to say, I had no trouble spending the money, and here's the list.
DRUM ROLL, PLEASE!!!

1 Five-foot walnut-top folding table 54.99
3 62 Quart Buckle-up storage boxes 35.97
3 10-packs of trading card pages 9.87
6 10-packs of 4x6 photo pages 20.94
1 10-pack of poster board 4.99
1 2-pack of compressed air 6.00
1 10-pack of Zebra Z-grip pens 3.79
1 Office-size Energy Club Mojo Mix 5.99
1 40 ounce bag of Snickers Minis 12.99

Grand Total: $1.64 (11 cents tax)

The nice thing was, none of these were necessities. By the way, the Snickers and Mojo Mix were like a "reward within a reward." I didn't really have to get them.

I could have gotten the Peanut M&M's instead.

The whole experience didn't take much time. It was very satisfying, but I can't really compare it to the way Amanda, Judy, and Jennifer (not to mention Amanda's growing list of "disciples") regularly whittle their grocery bills down astonishingly. Their system is to study, diligently organize, and squeeze every penny out of store and manufacturer coupons and other offers. These offers have proliferated as stores compete for your business during the economic recovery.

I won't be getting any more mega-deals from Staples anytime soon, but you can get deals at some of the drugstores and grocery chains weekly. If you want to save big bucks, don't forget to visit Amanda's Frugal Report blog. She'll direct you to many other helpful resources.

NOW, WASN'T THAT EASY?

No comments: