Monday, February 15, 2010

Mama's Legacy

It's been exactly one year ago today since Mama went to be with the Lord. She's been very close to me during that year, as she has been to all of our family. The lessons Mama taught me and lived before me will be part of me as long as I live. And I, too, hope to pass along part of her legacy.

Last March I blogged in detail about the substance of her funeral service and the loving tributes that were paid to her. You can read about that in full here if you so desire. In honor and memory of her today, I am including some of her favorite scriptures in this blog post. I hope they will speak to your heart and lift your spirit.

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. From Psalm 121

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. From Psalm 100

Mama in her 20's, before her marriage


The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. From Philippians 4


Mama and Daddy on their wedding day, May 15, 1948

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. From Psalm 1

God gave them 60 wonderful years together.
Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. From Philippians 4

Buddy, Caryn, and I owe so much to Mama and Daddy.
We saw Mama live and prove each of these scriptures throughout her life.
I have learned in whatsoever state I am therewith to be content. I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me. My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. From Philippians 4

I know of no one who lived out the truths of
these verses more faithfully than Mama.
I know Mama is smiling down brightly on all
of us today. Not only because she's thrilled
to look down on the happiness of her growing
family, but also because she's seen a favorite
scripture come to pass:
"I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
Thank you for everything, Mama.
I love you!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful blog and yes, your mother was a beautiful woman.

Amanda said...

I miss her! But I love looking at Brianna and seeing her laugh like Grandma. Isn't that so amazing?? I love being reminded of her.

Jimmy said...

Thank you for sharing. I am blessed to read about the Godly example your parents were to you. I pray that one day my children will say the same..