Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Another Appreciative STAPLES Customer

Last fall I blogged about a very gratifying shopping trip at Staples where everything I got was free, based on Reward points.  This morning I read Amanda's Frugal Report blog about her impressive savings at Staples.  Lo and behold, I had just gotten back from spending $21 of free Reward points myself.

I think Staples is a big box store that "gets it."  Although their regular prices are rather high, that's typical of places that sell office or educational supplies.  Their quality is consistently good and their customer service is topnotch.  But it's their rewards that keep me coming back.  At Christmas I got two 20 packs of batteries with a 100% rebate.  We needed the batteries for Christmas candles and various children's toys.  A few days ago I received the $21 coupons for said batteries.

I browsed the store for a while, knowing I wouldn't find anything cheap.  I was right.  I finally headed for the checkout counter with an $8.00 file storage tub (can't get too many of them) and a 100-pack of sheet protectors, which I use all the time for music, genealogy, articles, and so on.  I calculated that those two items would eat up the whole Reward amount.

When I checked out, the girl told me that the tub was half price ($4.00) and I could either get a coupon for the balance or go back for another item.  I had already scanned their office snacks sections, because I've often gotten trail mix type goodies marked way down.  Didn't see any today.  But somebody had set down a single pack of trail mix right there at the front.  I knew it was over $6.00 but decided to splurge.  But when she rang it up it was only $4.00 and I had 21 cents left over.  So really, I got all this stuff and the batteries (from December) for the price of the batteries.  Can't complain about that, because I'll use it all.
Staples:  That was easy.  Yep.  I like Staples.

*********
On a related topic, I have to brag about a deal I got on a magazine for Judy's birthday (don't worry, she already knows about it).  She regularly purchases All You magazine at Wal-mart on a monthly basis.  If it weren't for that magazine and its coupons, she probably wouldn't go to Wal-mart twice a year (she might send me, however).  Anyway, this week she gave me some of the little subscription forms found in the current issue and said she'd love to get this magazine for her birthday. 

I decided to subscribe on-line.  Each of the four forms she gave me quoted a price of $1.94 per issue, plus 30 cents postage.  The website quoted the same price.  I surfed the website briefly and found a little drop-down menu called Coupons and Deals.  Click on it and the last item is Special Magazine Savings.  Lo and behold (that's twice I've said that in this post), I saw the same exact ad I had seen before, but with a cost of only $1.66 per issue.  I was able to lock it in for two years.  And you won't believe how much money Judy will save from the coupons over that period of time.  Well, if you know Judy, you WILL believe it.  (If you are interested in the low rate for All You magazine, here's the link:  All You for $1.66

Anyway, along with all the smart, savvy, money-saving women in my family, I also like to find a bargain.

Because I'm cheap.  Happy frugal shopping, y'all.

Note:  In sympathy to Amanda's computer dilemma, I'm not posting any photos on this post.  Also, I don't have any.  But a new computer may be in my future-- all for Judy, of course!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I agree about Staples customer service. When I got home I realized they had charged me for three packages of copy paper when I only bought two. When I called about this, I basically said, "How can I prove I walked out of there with two packs and not three?" The girl I talked to simply told me not to worry about it, to come to the store and a cashier would assist me in getting my money back. Nice!

I'M SO GLAD Mom is getting All You! Every deal I find that is great for her is through Amazon and it's so much trouble. You can't get much better than $1.66 an issue (it's about $2.40 in stores or somewhere around there.)

Great deals!