Saturday, February 19, 2011

February Pot Pourri

It seems like a long time since I had a "pot pourri" blog.  By the way, is "pot pourri" still a category on Jeopardy?  Or is it just something to add fragrance to a stale, musty room?  I knew it was French, but found it in my Webster's dictionary.  It's from the French verb pourrir: to ROT.  Hmmm.  Dried leaves kept in a jar to add fragrance.  Also a medley, a miscellany, an anthology.  BINGO!  Well, here goes.

Below is the arrangement of roses I gave Judy for Valentine's Day.  They're in the jug Moore County Schools gave me upon my retirement.  It finally came in handy.  Note the antique music stand to the right.  Judy gave me that treasure some years ago.  It's cast iron with a leather music rack.  The vintage sheet music on it is "Melody of Love."


For about 15 years I've had another Valentine tradition.  I've provided dinner music for a sweetheart banquet for the ladies of Sacred Heart church.  My dear friend Ann has contacted me each year to provide the music.  She also provides me with a delicious meal at her head table.  We've held this event at Mid-Pines, Pine Needles, Longleaf, and currently at Table-on-the-Green.  As our participants have "grayed," (including yours truly) it has switched from an evening meal to a luncheon.  I play anything from Big Band, to Roaring Twenties, to broadway and cinematic favorites.  And I guess I'll still be joining them for years to come.


Changing subjects:  Judy and I took advantage of our current warm spell to walk to the stream at the back of our property.  All was perfectly tranquil until a disturbed bird took flight.  It was a Kingfisher, the first I've ever seen in Moore County (may have seen some at the coast, I'm not sure).  It's appearance fully matched the description in my field guide.  Deep, irregular (and loud) wingbeats when in flight.  Big-headed appearance (I'm quoting the guide book, not disparaging the poor bird).  Bright rusty belly and crested head.  Seen singly or in pairs along streams and ponds.  What a wondrous moment of serendipity.  Around here, we've learned to expect the unexpected.  Hope we see it again.

Changing scenes once again.  I was out at Farm Life School this week and stopped first at the office.  I was welcomed by Tammy and Janice.  Their office has been decorated and enhanced since I retired.  They deserve a great workplace, because they are the wheels that keep this school rolling.  It's always so good to see them and my other school family.

If you're expecting a funny caption, how about this:
Janice and Tammy: "No Mr. Loyd, no one gets in to see the Great Oz, not even you."


My true purpose for being at school was to take Mrs. Dumas and Mrs. Cameron's second graders on the newly revamped nature trail.  There will be a whole blog about this very soon.  Here I am in my snake shirt, taking a familiar view of Jack, Will, and Tom, our triple poplar (as well as pop-U-lar) tree.


And there's no better way to cool down from a nature walk than a good folktale.  These girls and their classmates were thrilled to meet Molly Whuppie, a sharp-as-a-tack, adventure-loving, mountain heroine.


Claire: "WHAT? A blog with no babies?"
Well, just this one. 


But just wait until next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ken and Judy, boy you have been BUSY!!! Your father looks great. So glad he is doing so well, and has such wonderful friends. Thanks for all the super pictures, and great information. I love reading about all of it just as soon as Betty sends it to me. Hope you are all doing well. We are all fine here. Of course your name comes up here from time to time when we talk about third grade memories.