Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Father's Day

As with most holidays, we celebrated
Father's Day when we could get around
to it.  At least it was still June.  We enjoyed
a fine breakfast at the Sanford Cracker Barrel
with Judy's parents and our friends Gail and Jeff.
(I had the perfectly named "Grandpa's Breakfast",
and you might want to check it out if you like
chicken fried chicken for breakfast with sausage
gravy, plus numerous side dishes.)

Jeff and Jack, two fine examples of fatherhood,
relax after a satisfying meal.  Since I'm taking 
the picture, can you guess where our three
spouses are?

When the ladies rejoin us (evidence on the
ground) I use the self-timer to take a photo
for the archives.  Similar to the one a month
ago for Mother's Day, but who cares?

Gail joined me and Judy for a brief excursion
into downtown Sanford to check out their
local farmer's market (a total disappointment)
and two thrift shops (pleasant surprises with 
50% off sales and FIVE CENT record albums).

As pleasing to me as the great deals was the
realization of an interesting fact about this 
old steam locomotive at the downtown park.

I had seen this steam engine before but had
never noticed it was an Atlantic and Western.
The significance of that to me is that the "Zero
Milepost" of the A&W during the Civil War
was right in the center of Loyd Street (now Central 
Avenue) in Atlanta. The street was named for pioneer 
Atlantan (and my ancestor, I believe) James Loyd.
  A monument to that milepost is prominently 
displayed in  Underground Atlanta.

So naturally, I felt I should pose as Buster
Keaton in "The General," his silent masterpiece
about the great locomotive chase during the
Civil War.  Thanks, Gail!

Now, a salute to two fine ladies who do 
everything they can to make me and Jeff 
happy.  And they succeed.  Judy and Gail set
 the standard as wives, mothers, and daughters.

Hope your Father's Day celebration was
as much fun as mine.  
And now we can move on to the Fourth of July!

No comments: