Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Coming Leftist Take-over (not what you think)

Last Friday night was a hoot at the Loyd house. We hadn't had so many people for a while. There were Ken and Judy, Jennifer (briefly), Mike, Charlie and Liz, Grace, Dre, and little Elizabeth--the star attraction. As we gathered around the table for hamburgers, turkey burgers, and grilled veggies (which are becoming a regular around here), someone observed that all four of the males present were left-handed. At different times in the past I had known that all of us were either gauche (French) or sinistre (Latin), but I couldn't recall a time all four of us had been assembled. In America lefties typically make up only 10% of the population. So to have four lefties and no righties among us, from a probability standpoint, would be only one chance out of 10 x 10 x 10 x 10, or one out of 10,000. Of course, strictly speaking, it was not a random crowd, but it was still pretty cool.

I've been interested in handedness all my life. As the only lefty in my family, I wrote, ate, and played tennis left-handed. I throw and bowl right-handed and kick right-footed. In high school advanced biology I surveyed 1200 students in Cross Keys high and did all sorts of correlations. Maybe I'll share some in a future blog. But maybe you're wondering about my title, "The Coming Leftist Take-over." The very next day after our cookout, I read in the N&O how among recent presidents lefties are disproportionately prominent (did I mention I love tongue-twisters?). Since World War II, Harry Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, and Bill Clinton have all signed bills from the left side of the presidential desk. But the NEATEST of all is that BOTH John McCain and Barak Obama are left-handed! So I unequivocally stand by my premise that come January 2009, a confirmed leftist will take the reins of the government. Right?

2 comments:

Cindy said...

My husband is a leftie (he bowls, hits baseballs and kicks with right side) and I think my son will also be a leftie--he tends to use it more naturally...I get told often that they use the "right" side of their brain--Ha!

Jennifer Kirby said...

This post exemplifies why I was so excited about your starting a blog. Your thoughts are not those of a normal person. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Aren't you glad Grandma didn't let that teacher force right-handedness on you?