Saturday, July 12, 2008

Relaxing Saturday: Yard Sales and a Car, Dinner and a Movie

Yes, we went to yard sales and bought a new car. It happened like this. It had been a while since Judy and I went to Saturday yard sales, but we went to a Flea Market at the Fair Barn in Pinehurst this morning, then to a church sale near Union Pines High School. We got a few books and assorted items. On the way home Judy saw a sign in front of Phillips Motors in Carthage advertising a 2003 Toyota with low mileage. To make a medium story short our search for a new car is abruptly over. We won't pick it up until next Friday, but it met every one of my criteria. I'll blog more about it then and post a picture. I thought our search might take all of July and August, but when we saw it and took it for a test drive, the decision was a no-brainer. By the way, my opening line was just a hook for those of you who would actually believe I would buy a car AT a yard sale. It is technically true that we went to yard sales AND bought a new car today (hey, five years old IS new for me!). Sorry if I misled you, but this blogging is a rough business. You have to use some aggressive tactics sometimes to get people to read a post.

We had dinner on the porch under our ceiling fan, listening to Italian music. We had grilled vegetables to supplement some still-very good leftovers and it was quite enjoyable. I've grilled chicken tenders once and vegetables twice this week, which is a record for us using the grill, and by far the most I've participated in meal preparation thus far in my life (no exaggeration). Judy does 90% of the work but tries to give me credit. She said she would refer to me as "Ken Rosetta-Casper," a play on Lynn Rosetta-Casper, host of NPR's The Splendid Table. But I'm taking baby steps, and she's always going to be the numero uno chef around here!

Finally, we watched the 70's Woody Allen/Diane Keaton hit, Play It Again, Sam. It is a comedy about a movie buff's romantic difficulties and hallucinations of Humphrey Bogart coaching him. I particularly recommend it to anyone who recently watched Casablanca (hint, hint-- you know who you are).

2 comments:

Renee said...

Well, you could have bought a car at a yard sale - this is if it was a hot wheels!!

Unknown said...

I AM TRULY IN SHOCK, only 5 years old that has to be a record for you!!! I love my Toyota so much I have even talked to Jack and Thelma about getting one. I can hardly wait to see it.