Thursday, July 10, 2008

That's "Eclectic," not Electric. I considered calling it Ken Loyd's Procrastination Blog since I have had a hard time deciding what my focus would be (note to Jennifer and Amanda: I actually posted my first post less than one month after my retirement date, Friday, June 13). But "Eclectic" came to me as I thought over the multitude of interests I have and the many topics I hope to discuss in the months and years to come. When I was a senior education major at UNC-Chapel Hill we studied the whole spectrum of education philosophies, then had to write about our own. I saw pros and cons in each one, upsides and downsides, but fortunately, "Eclectic" was also a choice. I didn't know the word previously, but found that it meant "pots-pourri" or "a little bit-o-this; a little bit-o-that."

This may be a cop-out, but eclectic is right for me. In 33 years of teaching, my philosophy developed, but was always a matter of picking and choosing from what I felt were the best available teaching practices. In hobbies as well, my interests range far and wide, from literature to music to sports. Even in dining, I think it's appropriate that my and Judy's favorite restaurant, 195 in Southern Pines, describes its cuisine as eclectic. And that's good because I also like all kinds of food (credit and kudos to Judy for that!).

This may be an inadequate introduction for my new blog, but as my 94 year-old father tells me, I've got the rest of my life to do whatever I want. So I wish to promptly announce that . . . I will definitely NOT be blogging every day because Judy and I will soon be visiting North Carolina's land of waterfalls. But now that I've taken the plunge into the world of blogging I'm going to be doing a lot of something I did in my 3rd grade classroom-- brainstorming!

6 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

YES! You made my day! (And I'm your first commenter!)

Cindy said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad you are on the blogging train. I will definitely put your link on my blog and I will be checking you out from time to time. Happy Summer!!

Have a great time at the falls. Please blog some pictures of your adventures there.

Scooterpopsnana said...

Most of the people of our generation are procrastinators when it comes to anything technical. Not by choice, but in this hi-tech society our brain becomes so congested that by the time we figure out what we want to do, technology has left us behind and we appear to have procrastinated.

While visiting the waterfalls, be sure to include Hickory Nut Falls on Chimney Rock, Pearson Falls near Saluda and by all means take time to go across Mt. Pisgah from Candler to Bervard and visit the Sliding Rock (take your swiming trunks and a towel) and Looking Glass Falls. Then if time permits, drive down Hwy 276 out of Bervard across the South Carolina state line and visit Conestee Falls.

Looking forward to seeing great pictures of these and other falls on YOUR NEW BLOG!

Doug said...

This is great I've enjoyed blogging on my church's blogg for about two years now. Looking forward to anew blogging experience.
Have a blessed day.
Doug

Amanda said...

I am so excited to read your blog dad!! Congratulations on getting started!

Unknown said...

I am EXCITED!!! Your blog will now be part of my morning routine just like Jennifer's and Amanda's. It makes me feel close to family even if I don't get to see you every week.