Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Physical Exam . . . Judgment Day


One of the first things I did when I retired was to schedule my annual physical. Uh, I think I had one two years ago. When I turned 50 my insurance started covering them annually, but somehow I still missed a couple of years. My doc is just right for me. He didn't fuss about me being a few pounds overweight and in general he said I was a "healthy specimen." I guess he could have said "you're not in bad shape for the shape you're in," but he didn't. One thing I didn't get away with. He's going to make me an appointment for my first ever colonoscopy. If you don't know about those, I'm not gonna tell you. And if you do know, you know. I'm not dreading it, anyway. I'll wait until I get the appointment for that. He wrote me a permission slip to work out at the Senior Citizen's Center where Judy has recently begun going. Even though I get sporadic exercise cutting grass, cutting wood, and walking, this provides another option, and Judy and I can go together. I think it will be fun. As my visit concluded with a blood draw, I told the nurse how much I hated to go to the doctor when I was little, even though I would use the slightest symptom to try to get out of school. My undeveloped sense of logic failed to forewarn me that the end result (ha,ha) could be a shot! Now I don't mind the routine doctor visits and I won't have to play sick to get days off from school!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

1. Awesome picture. I loved that medical kit!!
2. Work out? Fun? You're as weird as Jenn. In a good way though.

Ken Loyd said...

Amanda, I suspected you and Jennifer would recognize your old Fisher-Price doctor's kit! I posted that pic just for you two.

Cindy said...

Cool kit--they don't make them like they used to..colonoscopy-ugh!

Oh well, this too, shall pass!! No pun intended!!