Saturday, September 13, 2008

SCHOOL DAYS, SCHOOL DAYS ~ Ken goes back to dear old SFL

Friday I went back to school for the first time since school began on August 25. I saw a lot of dear friends among faculty and students. This new work of art greeted me in the office, which has had a total make-over since last year. The whole atmosphere is welcoming and inviting.

I couldn't miss the posters about the Fall Festival which adorned all walls, windows, and doorways. I plan to be involved in that grand annual event, autographing my "Loyd Homeplace" books and possibly running the Acey-Deucey Game as well.
The main reason I went to school today was because a generous donor gave me funds to make book donations in my own honor. I selected a commemorative collector's edition of all the Curious George books by H. A. Rey and a 30th anniversary edition of Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends. I presented the books to my much-loved fearless leader, Miss McNeill. I hope these books will help either parents or students pass the time pleasantly when they are waiting in the outer office area
After my visit to the office I headed toward the Nature Trail to evaluate what kind of work it requires after a summer of growth plus the recent brutal storms. As I passed near the tennis courts I found Mrs. Auman's and Ms. Fox's 4th graders playing and when I stepped in for a minute I got a huge group hug, and not just from the students I had taught before. It was really heart-warming. This posed photo is nothing like the bedlam that reigned moments before! Forgive me, teachers.
I found the Nature Trail a little overgrown with a lot of fallen limbs, but nothing extraordinary. I plan to get it ready for class walks within the next few days. Fall is almost upon us and that's the a great time to explore the trail.

2 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

Excellent book choices!

Unknown said...

I agree. What a great choice in books! Shel Silverstein is a big hit with our students.