Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Early Bird Gets the . . . METEORS?

Renee has notified me that there were spectacular meteors to be seen in the pre-dawn hours the last few days. I confirmed for her that the Orionid meteor shower peaked Monday, but these showers can cover a period of several days. For details about observing meteor showers in comfort, go to my August post about the Perseid meteor shower.

Now is a good time for me to share dates of the 13 (my lucky number) meteor showers recognized by international astronomers. Remember that these dates tell you the peak for viewing, but they can be observed before and after that date.

  • January 3 ~ Quadrantids
  • February 9 ~ Aurigids
  • April 21 ~ Lyrids
  • May 4 ~ Eta Aquarids
  • June 28 ~ Draconids
  • July 29 ~ Delta Aquarids
  • August 12 ~ Perseids
  • October 20 ~ Orionids
  • October 31 ~ Taurids
  • November 12 ~ Arietids
  • November 16 ~ Leonids
  • December 13 ~ Geminids
  • December 22 ~ Ursids

As you can see, now through January 3 is a very active period, so try it at least once and let me know if you see anything!

No comments: