Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Where Do I Begin?

Meet Ray. Ray's my music-makin' buddy. Besides playing twice a month at area rest homes, we have jam sessions at each other's houses. Ray can play anything on the guitar. Our favorites are country, gospel, bluegrass, and rock and roll. Pretty eclectic.

Yesterday Ray invited me for his weekly visit to his dad's in Fayetteville. It was a real treat. We took the keyboard and guitar and had a songfest in his dad's living room. Songs like On the Wings of a Dove, Jambalaya, Your Cheatin' Heart, Amazing Grace, Last Date, Crazy, and many more. Ray's sister and her husband were also present and were an enthusiastic audience. We also enjoyed a nice lunch together and plenty of lively conversation. A very special day.

So what has happened between last Thursday and yesterday? It's been that long since I blogged. Hmm. Maybe I'll do the "list" thing, a la Jennifer and Amanda.
1. Picked pears (multiple days)
2. Picked persimmons (multiple days)
3. Practiced music with Ray
4. Final reading of "Mystery at the Loyd Homeplace" last Friday --and I almost forgot-- I added another fruit to my list by having chilled apricots with my school lunch!
5. Played music for funeral of long-time friend Hubert Michael, World War II veteran and chaplain for area veterans groups
6. Watched UNC defeat Notre Dame
7. Lost several games of cards to Judy (I have just reversed my losing streak--finally!)
8. Usual busy Sunday: morning Sunday School and worship, lunch at Golden Corral (think Bourbon Street chicken!), church service at Manor Care rest home, choir practice, evening worship.
9. One thing Sunday that deserves its own place in the list is that our children and youth sang an oldie but goodie-- "The Perfect Ten." Jennifer and Amanda remember this song about the ten commandments very well.
10. Monday we grilled sausages and veggies--something I don't think I'll ever get tired of!

Upcoming: Friday evening is Sandhills Farm Life's Fall Festival and I'll be selling copies of my book as a fundraiser for the school playground. Hopefully I can sell all I have and take orders for more. I loved reading to this year's fourth graders and hope I am able to continue this tradition for many more years.

No comments: