Saturday, October 18, 2008

Yard Saling minus the yards



I cannot describe the joys of yard saling more eloquently than Amanda did in her post today, so I won't try. Check out her finds here. Judy and I got plenty of good stuff ourselves. Some of my book bargains were 50 Classic Motion Pictures--the Stuff that Dreams Are Made Of, Now Showing--unforgettable moments from the movies (a $30 book with DVD for 50 cents), Century by Peter Jennings ($60 book for 50 cents), and Norman Rockwell's America for a quarter.


Also found our first book based on the Monk series on USA, which Judy and I love. I got an old NC geography book (hint: it was copyrighted in the year of my birth). Throw in a couple of cat humor books (not the dead cat variety), and a couple of history collectibles, and I'm suddenly well-stocked for fall and winter reading (until 2018, actually).


In the video department I got two old Honeymooners tapes, a children's version of the Trojan War, and The Babe, starring John Goodman as Babe Ruth. I got three audio tapes billed as "Too Hot for Radio." Maybe when they originally aired, but not now.


Can't leave out the 50 cent Vivitar camera tripod in perfect condition. Will it stop my blurred pictures and shaky videos? I doubt it. Tripods are not for spontaneous photo ops, which most of mine are. But I'm gonna try to get some shots of birds at our dining room window feeder and bird bath (Judy says the latter is rude).


I'll echo Amanda's sentiment that the good company is what makes yard saling so much fun, and topping it off with lunch at 195 in Southern Pines is priceless.


So maybe none of our yard sales were actually in yards, but almost everything except lunch was half-price. I'll settle for that anytime.

No comments: