Tuesday, October 21, 2008

GLORIOUS DAY AT THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE FAIR

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I won't need to elaborate much for those of you who are veteran fair-goers. Here is the famed Waterfall Wall, with Dorton Arena in the background, flanked by Old Glory and the North Carolina state flag.
A little fuzzy, but this mural in one of the restaurants attempts to capture the scope of this grand event.
You can't tell relative size of these pumpkins because they're all humongous, but the largest one could easily have been Cinderella's coach!
Examples of really imaginative art and creative decors were everywhere.
What's this? Obviously, the all-American hot dog.
We were able to get just a few feet from the kiddie coaster for this shot.
Don't know what they called this ride, but Bumper Boats would be appropriate.
Tar Heel prizes adorned all the game booths.

Apparently I was the only person in the entire crowd that noticed some of these flags were printed backwards. Hmmm. . . .
They could not lure me in to see these supposed freaks of nature. It's hard to impress a school teacher after 33 years.
Judy's sentimental favorite ride is the Tilt-a-Whirl.
No, I didn't ride this. I was paying attention to the TALL LADDER, wondering how recently they had to go up and rescue someone. I also felt sorry for the ride inspectors. I realized that in the last month I've been on the roofs of four different houses clearing debris, making repairs, or cleaning out stovepipes. I still don't like heights!
It was my first State Fair in over 30 years and I loved every minute! The weather was picture perfect, traffic was light, the midway was pleasant and uplifting, and the exhibits were superb. I highly recommend it!


4 comments:

Amanda said...

I wish I could have been there but I'm so glad you guys got to go on a State Fair date! I'd love to go next year!

Ken Loyd said...

Okay--and we'll take turns pushing or carrying Baby Talbert. Bring plenty of baby sunblock, though!

Unknown said...

OR, an even better idea. Baby Talbert could stay with Aunt Gail! Then everyone could ride the rides.

Cindy said...

We're going on Friday--60 degrees and a chance of rain--ugh...but we'll buy ponchos. Love your pics!!

Leave it to you to find backwards flags flying....LOL!