Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fall Colors and More

I'm taking a day off from my Halloween posts, but you're not off the hook. I have one more planned. But today I want to tell about our latest adventure.

Yesterday, Judy and I got to tag along with Tim and Thelma on a fall color tour of at least four counties just to our west (Stanley, Randolph, Montgomery, and Richmond). Once you get out of the "sand and pines" region you see more hardwoods, and that means more color. The leaves may not have peaked yet, but there were plenty of spots where they were glorious. A breezy, chilly day, we enjoyed most of the scenery from the confines of our vehicle.

This is looking down into a gorge at Jumpin' Off Rock near the Uwharrie Mountains.

Looking upstream from Jumpin' Off Rock.

Thelma, Judy, and me at Jumpin' Off Rock.
Judy, Thelma, and Tim gazing at me as I fell backward into the gorge while snapping their photo.
My view of the gorge just before landing at its bottom.Nah, I didn't really fall off Jumpin' Off Rock. I WAS PUSHED!!! :>)
Below, I get revenge on Tim.


Taken from the hilltop cemetery of Laurel Hill Baptist Church, a few miles west of Candor.


A beautiful spot on the Little River in Montgomery County. There is a boat launch ramp, but no one was there today. Judy mentioned it would be a nice picnic spot. Tim was especially glad we found it, having staked his reputation as a guide on this quest.

No, we weren't way down in Louisiana, just about a mile from Texarkana, but we saw several fields of cotton similar to this one.


In the small town of Richland, we chanced upon a fine little family restaurant called Judy's. All the food was good, from home-cooked veggies, to grilled chicken, to burgers, fries, and chili cheese dogs (guess who).

This photo of Judy's Restaurant is a little dark, but you see it's the typical small-town gathering place. Prices were exceptionally reasonable. This is the humble restaurant to look for if you're ever passing through Richland, NC on Highway 49.
This shot is from atop Morrow Mountain, which was bitterly cold and windy this day.

The three pictures below were taken when Judy and I visited Morrow Mountain on November 11 of last year--Veteran's Day, when school was out. I think you'll agree the colors were significantly more striking then. The good news is, if you haven't had a chance for a nice drive to enjoy the leaves, the best time is probably still a few days ahead.



Wow! Sixteen pictures on this post. That's my record. Hope you enjoyed it and can experience something similar soon on your own fall excursion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures!!!