Friday, October 17, 2008

Halloween 1 (No, not Jason)

Halloween!!! I love it and always have. Aside from my own great childhood memories and those of taking Jennifer and Amanda trick-or-treating, some of my best memories were in my own classroom. The month of October was a perfect time to integrate something kids were interested in--Halloween-- into math, reading, writing, art, music, and even PE.

We wrote Monster sentence completions, gross recipes, Monster Math, Spooky Faded Messages, and so much more. We read The Ghost Rock Mystery, The Thing at the Foot of the Bed, The Empty Grave, and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (yes, 1,2, and 3). We played Old Mother Witch and Blob. We wrote The Haunting of Farm Life School and Baby Monsters Go to School.
Here's one of my favorite activites, which I always did along with my students: Monster sentence completions. I'll include a sampling of my responses from over the years. I'll probably do this again, and I'd love to see some of your responses.

THE WOLFMAN COMBED HIS HAIR AND SAID,
  • "Now where did I put that No More Tangles? This is a mess!"
  • "Pretty slick. Now if I could just get rid of these fleas maybe I could get a date."
  • "Wow, using that blow dryer was a great idea! I am one cool dude!"
  • "I just hate 'Picture Day' at Monster School."
  • "Good golly, I'm getting bald-headed, just like dear old Dad."
  • "It would be easier if I had feathers. Hmmm. . . Duckman?"
  • "I'm seriously thinking about trying that Michael Jordan look. Think I'll shave my head."
  • "Nah, too much like David Letterman" (This is my 2008 addition to the list)
More Halloween stuff in the upcoming days. (Is that a promise or a threat?)

No comments: