Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Family Who Hated Christmas

By special request from Debi, I'm posting a Christmas story I wrote. She asked for something traditional, touching, simplistic. I don't know if this fits the bill, but this is one I wrote with my students year ago. I hope you enjoy it.
The Family Who Hated Christmas

Up and down the cozy little lane, frost glistened on the rooftops and clouds full of fluffy snow eagerly waited to blanket the countryside. It was Christmas Eve, and even the houses on Amber Lane seemed to know it. Smoke from chimneys rose skyward in light wisps. The wreaths on doors and the twinkling Christmas lights seemed to say “Welcome, and Merry Christmas.” A peaceful silence had settled in over all the homes and families as they awaited Santa’s visit. In all but one, that is.
At the fine, new home of the Spencer family, things were different. Black, angry clouds of smoke tumbled from their chimney, and hung heavily over their yard. They had turned out their holiday lights some time before to save on their electric bill. But they were not asleep. No, they were in the middle of another roaring family argument.
“Same thing, every year,” Mr. Spencer was barking. “Bills, bills, and more bills. It’s bad enough having the new house payment and two car payments. But you have to single-handedly keep every store in the mall in business. ‘Isn’t that cute?’, you say, or ‘We’ve just got to have that!’ “If we’re not careful we won’t be able to afford that boat and vacation cabin next spring.”
“That’s right, blame it all on me,” retorted Mrs. Spencer hotly. “Just because you ordered your new deer stand and all that other hunting equipment on the Internet doesn’t mean you’re not just as guilty as me. And if I can’t enjoy getting what I want for Christmas, I’d just as soon forget about it.”
Now Sid and Cindy, the Spencer children, chimed in. “All we know is, we’d better get our share,” grumbled Sid. “We’re the only kids at school who don’t already have the latest video games and Guitar Hero. And if you don’t come through, this Christmas will be a flop, just like last year.”
“That’s right,” agreed Cindy. “The other kids talk about how great Christmas is, but they’re crazy. Maybe I’d like it better if I was in somebody else’s family. They ALL get way more than us!”
At least that comment united her parents. Her mother hissed angrily, “Why you spoiled brat. Has it ever occurred to you that you’re part of our family’s problem?”
“Well, if you think I’m spoiled, just look at my parents. What YOU want always comes first! No fair.”
Mr. Spencer had not yet responded, and that was probably fortunate. But his face was growing redder by the moment, and he looked like a volcano about to erupt.

***

Up on the housetop, Santa had heard enough. “One of the toughest cases I’ve come across in years. But not hopeless. From his deep fur-lined pocket, he pulled a small vial labeled “Concentrated Christmas Spirit.” He sprinkled just a pinch down the Spencer’s chimney and started to put it away. Then, as an after-thought he sprinkled one more pinch.
Inside, his magic began to set off an instantaneous transformation.
***

“Well,” said Sid in a soft voice, “if we could just have a happy Christmas for once, I wouldn’t care what I got, I guess.”
“I’ll do whatever I can to help work things out, too,” said Cindy apologetically.
Mr. Spencer turned to his wife, and with a glazed look in his eyes humbly stated, “I know I’ve been as careless with our money as the rest of you, so I have no right to fuss. As leader of our family, I’ve failed to set the right priorities. Believe me, I’m going to make some changes. Hey, what am I saying?”
His wife took him by the arm. “Maybe you’re saying that money and presents aren’t as important as we thought they were. I can’t believe how backwards we’ve let things become. And how we’ve buried the true meaning of Christmas beneath all these things we thought we wanted. Isn’t it enough for our family to be safe and together, and to know that God loves us, in spite of all the foolish things we say and do. Loves us so much that He sent His Son Jesus to us, and for us. The greatest gift ever given.”
Mr. Spencer went to the mantle where stockings were hung. He reached for a slightly dusty family Bible and motioned for his family to gather with him around the firelight of the last glowing coals. “This dust reminds me it’s been too long since I-- since we-- visited the tale of the miracle of Jesus’s birth. Way too long.
***

Up on the now snow-covered roof, Santa smiled with satisfaction, climbed back into his sleigh, and gave a familiar whistle to his team of reindeer.
“What, Santa?” exclaimed Blitzen. “No presents for the Spencers this year? Their list was one of the longest!”
“No, Blitzen. We can give the things we had chosen for them to some truly needy folks. As for the Spencers, they just got the one Christmas gift they were missing.”

No comments: