Tuesday, December 2, 2008

If I Remember Correctly

(Here's the "teaser" picture from Aberdeen Lake-- nine more are at the end of this post)

With a memory like mine, it just doesn't pay to go too many days without blogging. What's done is done, though, so I'll try to fill you in on what's been going on since Thanksgiving Day.

Thanksgiving itself was wonderful, including the meal, family time, and a nice walk at Rassie Wicker park.

Friday, I cut wood from about 8 to 10, then got cleaned up for a lunch with Amanda and Stephen and his family from Atlanta. We enjoyed our usual meal at 195 in Southern Pines. Afterward, Judy and I went to Aberdeen Lake and walked their trail for the first time in years. It was the most pleasant weather of the week and we delighted in the wild ducks and scenic boardwalk.

That evening we had a terrific time at Joy's, featuring the grand tour of her new home, plus oyster stew, hot dogs, salad, and dessert. Good times, believe me!

Saturday we dropped by the Habitat for Humanity store, hoping to use two half-price coupons. Sadly, we could find NOTHING that seemed like a bargain, even at half price. The trip was far from wasted, as we made up for this at Aberdeen's new Salvation Army store. I found some exotic salt and pepper shakers (S&P's will be blogged about sometime this winter) and a couple of intriguing videos, Easter Parade with Judy Garland and Fred Astaire, and The Count of Monte Cristo, filmed in 1934. They were 99 cents each, compared to $3.00 at Habitat. See what I mean?

Judy made her famous turkey soup while I did some genealogy searches and checked up on ACC football. By 3:30 we had made some soup deliveries and I settled in for the Duke-Carolina football game. It was a great game, and I wouldn't have been at all surprised for Duke to pull an upset (a la N.C. State), but we survived.

Sunday was a pleasant day with turkey soup and grilled cheese. We were home early, but couldn't go walking because of the rain. That was okay, because church was called off that evening, allowing me to watch UNC play UNC-Asheville live instead of taped. It was a fun game, but not a close one. I finally finished reading my second "Jason Bourne" novel that night. It was very good, but I plan to read some shorter works during December.

Monday was a catch-up day and I actually did more than I expected. We headed to Staples so I could order 40 more copies of my book (let me know if you need one), then on to Wal-mart for a short list of items. Having easily resisted participating in Black Friday, we were jubilant as we breezed through the checkout lines with no waiting! After a delicious lunch featuring left-over ham, I hung and strung Christmas decorations outside. I may post some pictures of that later.
Today, I cut and hauled wood in our "outback" until getting cleaned up for lunch. Then I took Chipper (in his Santa suit) with me to play the piano at the hospital. I played Christmas music exclusively today, and wore my Looney Toons Christmas tie. Judging from the swaying, gyrations, and toe-tapping of the hospital staff and passers through, Feliz Navidad and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree were today's favorites.

Well, for the moment that brings me up to date. I've got plenty of blog ideas for December and beyond. For now, I'm only going to post pictures from Aberdeen Lake.
Ducks galore!
I couldn't resist experimenting with lighting effects.
An artist's pallette of lily pads. Made me think of Monet's garden.
View from the boardwalk.
View OF the boardwalk.
That's the aeration fountain-- not a giant waterbird on steroids (Judy's contribution to this blog's humor).

All parks need Troll Trees!

At the gazebo, I utilized our camera's self-timer for the very first time ever!

2 comments:

Brian Barndt said...

Great pics and stories, especially the boardwalk! Stay well, and keep that liver strong!

Unknown said...

The picture does remind me of Monet. Maybe you have found a second career?!?!?