Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Begins With Veggie Tales


That's right. At 6:00 a.m. I woke up to go to the bathroom and found that the Veggie Tales song "A Thankful Heart" was going through my head. I love that song. I'll try to post the lyrics later. But when I went back to bed, I focused on the line that says ". . . that's why I give thanks every day."




I've been thinking for several days about sharing a list of things I am thankful for, and Amanda's list was truly inspirational to me. I do have one problem with lists: I'm afraid of leaving something important out! But I'm not promising an all-inclusive list, nor will it be in order of importance. Gotta start somewhere, so here goes.




I am thankful to God


  • for bringing me and Judy together, making one life from two, and the abundant blessings that have unfolded ever since.


  • for giving us two daughters who reflect the love and compassion of Christ in everything they do.


  • for giving Jennifer and Amanda godly husbands of the strongest character, who love them deeply (and who tolerate their in-laws).


  • for my loving parents and the Christian teaching and influence they had on me from my earliest memories.


  • for the long lives He has granted them, with sound memories and reasonably good health.


  • for bringing Mama through a seemingly near-death experience and restoring her health to the extent she can enjoy such things as reading her devotions, eating out, and celebrating at family times.


  • for providing Judy with a healthy liver to replace her bad one and for her renewed life ever since.


  • for the way our time in the hospital bound our family together more strongly than ever and increased our faith.


  • for the many Christians, both known and unknown to us, who lifted us and our many needs in prayer during those months in the hospital.


  • for my brother and sister being such faithful caregivers to my parents during the years I've been so far away.
  • for each special member of my extended family and what they mean to me.


  • that in spite of disliking so many things about school and having a dread of speaking in front of groups, He gently steered me to become a teacher anyway.


  • for giving me a "dream job" teaching for 33 years and letting me know exactly when it was time to do something different.


  • for the Christian friends I was privileged to work with at Sandhills Farm Life which made it a dream job.


  • for a fifth grader named Gwin inviting me to church in 1975 resulting in my meeting Judy that very night!


  • for preserving my life through two car wrecks and numerous minor accidents, any of which could have been major without his mercy.


  • for Jesus's constant love, guidance, and reassurance. I could on forever about this!


  • that Mama, Daddy, and I are having so much fun sharing reminiscences by telephone--and that their memories are still so vivid at ages 88 and 94.


  • for placing a love of music in my heart and the privilege of sharing it with so many people of all ages in so many different settings.
  • that every member of my family is a lover of BOOKS!


  • for miraculously stretching our funds over the years so that we were supplied far beyond our needs.
  • that the joy of yard sales and thrift shops combined adventure with savings.


  • for "the peace that passeth understanding," that has allowed me not to worry, but to accept.


  • for revealing the beautiful truths of the scriptures to me in a living, vibrant, and personal way.
  • for giving me a love of "micro-history"-- His hand in my family heritage-- and "macro-history"-- His hand in events across the ages. This enhances my personal sense of purpose as I see myself as one small part of God's all-encompassing master plan.


  • for giving me and my family a love for the outdoors and an appreciation for the simple things.


  • for making me interested in so many things!


  • for the idyllic childhood I had, growing up in a perfect '50's neighborhood, with plenty of boys, plenty of woods, and plenty to do.


  • for always having at least one car that would run-- now that was a test of faith!


  • for the blessing of grandchildren to come, as blessings multiply geometrically!


  • for my life-changing experiences at Camp Cherokee and at UNC-Chapel Hill.


  • for a rainbow of friends that are as close as sisters and brothers.


  • for Judy's family adopting me in Christian love and for their guidance over the years.


  • that Jack and Thelma gave me a chance even though I was from Atlanta, went to UNC, and was raised as a Methodist! : )
  • for the wonderful godly pastors I have had.


  • that Judy loves to cook as much as I love to eat.


  • that we enjoy quiet trails, winding streams, rippling waterfalls, and hilltop cabooses.

  • That my "to do" list as a retiree seems inexhaustible! That's GOOD!

Since I honestly could go on and on, I thank God that this list only scratches the surface--and I can look forward with great joy to future blessings not yet imagined!

3 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

Beautiful! I love you.

Cindy said...

Mr. Loyd, you are such a great blogger. . . I love this post...it's my favorite yet.

Amanda said...

I love your list! Our family is so blessed! I love you!