Tuesday, November 18, 2008

American Education Week






















It wasn't until I read Dr. Susan Purser's timely column in Sunday's Pilot that I realized this week is American Education Week. Her column is well worth reading . Of many points she made, I believe the most insightful is that "our teachers have made us what we are." That doesn't necessarily mean that we adopted the viewpoints, attitudes, worldviews, or politics (as a recent study confirmed) of those teachers. I have long felt that my philosophy as a teacher was influenced as much by my poor teachers as by those who excelled. I didn't realize this until I had been in the classroom a while, but I began to make many educational decisions by replaying remembered scenarios from elementary school, high school, and college. As I focused on putting myself back in the role of student, it was greatly helpful in eliminating ineffective or counter-productive practices. This was true in academics, discipline, and teacher-student rapport. Many things I had once endured became things I avoided putting my own students through. Not just to make their road easier--that's not the point. It was to give education a chance to be alive and nurturing, constructive and meaningful.

Rather than focus on the negative practices, I thought I'd list just a few teachers who did special things that endeared them to me and others.
  • Mrs. Allison Smith, my 3rd grade teacher, demonstrated the love and patience of a grandmother. It was the first year I didn't hate and dread going to school. Maybe that's why 3rd grade was always my favorite.

  • Mrs. Joan Borden complimented my singing even though she was just trying to goad the other boys into singing out. I knew I didn't have a very good voice, but it instilled in me the sense that everyone should have the right to participate, and enthusiasm counts.

  • My 6th grade math teacher, Mrs. Walker, was the first teacher who took an occasional day to do brainteasers instead of lessons from the book. I am delighted that this type of problem-solving and logic problems, which I call AHAs! has become an integral part of the curriculum. It's fun and it's real.

  • Mrs. Brengleman, my 6th grade language arts teacher, also played the piano for singalongs. I loved those days, especially the old songs. I was delighted that she let us sing "My Last Cigar." A lot of teachers would enjoy teaching more now if they could relax and be themselves, but there are many obstacles, unfortunately. I suppose this is why I was okay with teaching my classes "Great Green Globs of Greasy, Grimy Gopher Guts."
  • Mr. English, my 7th grade Geography teacher, scores twice. First, because he didn't think 7th graders were too big to be read to after lunch. He read Sterling North's Rascal to us, a book I could easily have read to myself, but probably wouldn't have. That was a time I looked forward to each day. And in my 33 years, I can't remember one day I didn't read aloud to my students. Teachers, don't ever think you don't have time for this! Research is on your side. Your students will be more relaxed and receptive when it's time to go back to work.

  • Mr. English also was beloved by all for playing softball, football, and basketball with us. That wasn't the only reason I played with my classes (I loved it!) but it made a lasting impression on me.

I realize I haven't even gotten to my high school teachers, but you get the point. If you are a teacher, student, or parent (or gonna be a parent!), take a little time to reflect on what your own educational experience has meant to you and what you believe today's youth are needing. I may be retired, but I'm spending a lot of time thinking about this!

No comments: