Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sharing "Mystery at the Loyd Homeplace"

Once again I've had an opportunity to read my book, Mystery at the Loyd Homeplace, and this may have been my favorite occasion yet. I was invited to share it with dear friends Ike and Carla in their home, and we broke the reading into two sessions, Monday and Tuesday afternoons. Their little dog Muffin was also a part of the attentive audience. Naturally, Ike and Carla were a little more interested and informed about the historical and genealogical aspects of the book. It was quite different from reading it in a school setting, as much as I enjoyed that. We were able to stop frequently and discuss certain happenings. They had a piano right there in their comfortable living room, so I was able to play "The Circuit-Ridin' Preacher" and a couple of Civil War era songs. Judy joined us on day 2 of the reading and took a picture of me, Ike, and Carla with the Loyd "treasure." Carla is so intrigued by the book, she intends to lead an expedition of her own to the old Loyd homeplace next time she's in Atlanta. I'll be exploring that soon myself, plus delving into some old public records at the DeKalb County Courthouse. I'll let you know what turns up.


No comments: