Monday, November 10, 2008

Icons of Patriot's Corner

The Loyd yard is ready for Veterans Day.


Tomorrow is Veterans Day, 2008, and I'll get to spend it with my favorite veteran for the first time in 33 years--my Dad. Daddy was a flight chief in the 358th Fighter Group of the 365th Fighter Squadron. He was in England for D-Day, crossed the channel and followed Patton's army through France and into Germany. He knew the heart-stopping drama of the Battle of the Bulge, and the jubilation of VE Day (Victory in Europe). I'm so glad I recorded his war story several years ago, but he always has little tidbits that I haven't heard before. I also picked up more stories from the three reunions of his famed "Orange Tail" P-47 outfit.

When I was teaching, I developed a Patriot's Corner that featured icons of the Orange Tails. With my emphasis on patriotism and American history, this was a way to bring the stories a little closer to reality for my students. I received many favorable comments from parents and other visitors to my classroom. Now that I'm retired, I've designated a shelf in Jennifer and Amanda's old room as my new Patriot's Corner. Here are some icons from my collection.
One of my American Flags collection: "Don't Tread on Me."

An Orange Tails reunion photo, flight bag, and the American flag that flew over the state capitol, given to me at retirement.

Patriot's Corner

P-47 Thunderbolt with the "razorback" canopy.

One of my P-47 T-shirts and Orange Tails cap.

Tar Heel Hal was one of the most famous of all P-47s in WWII. The "bubble canopy" was an improvement. There's my souvenir mug, too.

Hope you have a great Veterans Day. We all have someone special in uniform that needs our prayers. Let's honor those on active duty even as we think of those who served in days gone by.

No comments: