Friday, November 21, 2008

A New Experience~Pre-School Singalong

Friday, I was a guest at Watch Me Grow Pre-School Academy, my next door neighbors. My good friend Mary Ann, who used to teach with me, invited me to do a musical celebration with the 2, 3, and 4 year olds. What a wonderful experience it was!

These kids were terrific participants, enthusiastically singing, dancing, and performing lively motions to songs like She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain, Shake My Sillies Out, Alley Cat, B-I-N-G-O, Old McDonald, and the Mexican Hat Dance. When we started, the children might have thought I'd have them sitting still the whole time. But they found out!

Everybody loves Chipper, my monkey pal. He was just in from Hawaii and was surprised to find it snowing in parts of North Carolina.

It's the Baby Elephant Walk! See a few "trunks"?
Freeze Dancing is everybody's favorite. These pre-schoolers were great direction followers. So was Miss Mary Ann.

All aboard for the Chattanooga Choo-choo!

Here we reclined in our imaginary boats for a peaceful drift down the Beautiful Blue Danube.


I pulled out my harmonica for Red River Valley, On Top of Old Smoky, and Polly Wolly Doodle as we became pioneers gathered around our campfire after a long day on the trail.


My rainstick was very popular and everyone got to try it out.


Boom, boom, ain't it great to be crazy?! Yes. Being crazy gives you permission to have more fun than other people.

One fun song which I had never done at school was Hey Lolly Lolly. You insert people's names and make up your own verses. Such as:
Hey lolly, lolly, lolly, Hey lolly, lolly Lord.
Hey lolly, lolly, lolly, Hey lolly, lolly Lord.
I've got a friend called Mary Ann,
Hey lolly, lolly Lord,
If she can't do it, no one can!
Hey lolly, lolly Lord.
Other verses featured Sabrina (gonna be a ballerina), Drew (you should see him boogaloo), and Ryder (he can capture any spider). What big smiles I saw. Children love to hear their name!
(If you'd like to know the tune, give me a call and try this in your own school class, Sunday School class, or even youth group).

Just like at school, I ended with John Denver's Friends With You. Everybody found a friend to hug.


Friends, I will remember you,


Think of you, pray for you;


And when another day is through,


I'll still be friends with you.


I'm delighted to say I made about 30 new friends today.

And all my new friends gave me a GREAT BIG GROUP HUG!

I couldn't stay for the Thanksgiving Feast so these nice ladies fixed me a to-go plate! It'll be Saturday's pre-game for State-Carolina at noon!
Like the sign says, children are welcome. But I'm glad they'll occasionally let big people in on the fun! I hope to do more of this kind of thing in the future!






1 comment:

Jennifer Kirby said...

COOL! I'm so glad you got to do that! Lucky kids. :)