Sunday, November 2, 2008

Filling in Last Week's Gaps

I focused on getting in all of my Halloween posts last week and postponed some other significant events. I am going to include some Halloween photos here, but also wanted to touch on my visit to school Thursday. First, though, I must go all the way back to Wednesday.

After a wonderful luncheon of soups and cheese toast with Amanda and Judy, I headed off for a visit with former student Spencer and his tutor Doris. They had invited me to spend some time helping Spencer get familiar with his new microscope. They were so welcoming, and presented me with homemade cookies and apple juice. Spencer also gave me a sweet handwritten note and a specially chosen gift. We explored several slides and Spencer quickly grasped the finer points of his new tool. I also shared with them a favorite website of mine, Dennis Kunkel Microscopy, which is an education website for children, but believe me-- it's FUN for adults, too. My three favorite segments are Zoom In!, Zoomify, and Most Wanted Bugs. Go there, you won't be sorry! Here are some teasers.

Thursday led me back to school for a Nature Trail slideshow presentation followed by a nice fall Nature Walk. Mr. Jackson and Mrs. Cameron's 2nd graders were attentive and enthusiastic as we saw everything from Old Man Poplar and Jack-Will-and Tom, to Big Rock, The Black Lagoon, and The Graveyard of the Pines.

Below, these students try a new feature of the trail, Walking the Log, as they try to balance their way along about 75 feet of a fallen pine.


It takes true courage to visit the Black Lagoon on the day before Halloween. I invited the students to meet me back there at midnight. No takers (as far as I know).


Friday Judy and I headed to Chapel Hill for a routine appointment. We enjoyed the fall leaves all the way up there and on the way home made it to the General Store Cafe in Pittsboro in time for a late lunch. Judy had spinach enchiladas and I had the Pittsburrito (not to be confused with politburo). Everything was delicious. In my previous post about the General Store I did not include the mosaic snake that adorns the men's room. Here it is. I don't know what adorns the ladies' room.

By the time we got home it was only an hour or two until we expected trick-or-treaters. I made minimal preparations, hanging Old Baldy on a recently vacated plant hanger.


I moved our chiminea to the front yard and lit a roaring fire, but it wasn't too impressive in broad daylight.


Our first two arrivals were Emma and Jessie. Emma was the Wicked Witch of the West. Note how SCARY she is.


Jessie was Dorothy and little Toto is in her basket. She didn't scare me--much.

Once we saw they were harmless, Judy and I approached for a group shot.


Our third and final guest of the evening was Davis the Pirate. We love to have Davis visit us to play with our toys, eat bananas, and in general give us grandparenting practice. I was a pirate one Halloween as a boy, and I just wish my costume had been as authentic as Davis's. He also inherited some pirate garb from Chipper, my dear old classroom mascot.
Saturday included biking all over Pinehurst and Sunday was Homecoming at Beulah Hill Baptist. Seeing Gail was one highlight, and having Judy bring her persimmon pudding and persimmon-date bread was another. In late afternoon we walked the Pinehurst Greenway until nearly dark. It was a great weekend but Mondays now hold no fear for me. Bring it on!

No comments: