Monday, November 17, 2008

Festival of Christmas Trees

If you're not in the Christmas spirit yet, and bemoan the fact that all the stores are brimming with Christmas items before we've had our first bite of Thanksgiving turkey, I understand completely. However, I'd like to put in a good word for our Sandhills Children's Center located in Southern Pines. The center does immeasurable good for numerous children in our area, particularly many with special needs.

This past week the Carolina Hotel hosted the annual Festival of Trees, the primary fundraiser for the Children's Center, and I had the privilege of providing some holiday music Saturday evening. Below is a miniature virtual tour of some of the more than 200 elaborately decorated trees and other exhibits which were auctioned off.

No, I was not auctioned off. But I wanted to include this picture somewhere.
Nativity Scene Theme

Holiday Food Theme

Santa and Elf

Pirates of the Caribbean Theme (I love pirates, you know)


Toy Train Theme (very dear to my heart)


Literature Theme (Note: all books were signed by author)


St. Patrick's Day and Halloween Themes (at Christmas?)


UNC Tar Heel Theme


Children's Toy Theme

Christmas Village


This long shot doesn't begin to portray the vastness of the displays.


So Saturday night got me in the Christmas spirit a little bit earlier than usual. But if the trappings of Christmas seem to wear us down all too soon, we should simply set those things aside and remember the reason for the season!

I'm sure I'll repeat this many times in the days ahead, but. . . ahem. . .
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

2 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

I didn't know you played there -- cool! Was this a first for you or have I not known all along?

Ken Loyd said...

Last year was my first-- thanks to Mark's wife Teresa.