Monday, November 17, 2008

Sorry I couldn't blog-- I had to go to The Varsity!

Well, the title doesn't tell the whole story, but The Varsity is part of it. For those of you who regularly check my blog, I apologize for not blogging since Veterans Day. I actually departed for Atlanta that morning and spent a wonderful few days with Mama, Daddy, and my brother Buddy.

It was the first Veterans Day in many years I've actually been with my favorite veteran (Daddy), and we celebrated by eating at The Varsity the first evening. Their burgers, chili dogs, chili cheese steaks, fries, and onion rings are to die for! Back at home, I hooked my camera up to Mama and Daddy's TV and shared pictures from all of my and Judy's recent travels. I took my keyboard along and set it up in their living room for frequent musical interludes during my stay. Rain had been in the forecast, but actually held off until Friday, when I was returning to North Carolina.
The Varsity-- World's largest drive-in restaurant
Wednesday morning I got right on to some little chores Daddy had saved for me. I repaired a lamp switch, put new washers in a hose and moved it around back, picked up and piled fallen limbs, and blew leaves off the roof. The way leaves were falling down there, Daddy had blown off the driveway three times on Tuesday before I even arrived! There are still a lot more leaves to come. Wednesday afternoon we had a great meal at the Old Hickory House. We had enough daylight left to drive around in the vicinity of the old Loyd homeplace. We're trying to uncover some information that I'll discuss in a future blog. We had a lot of chat time that evening and family history got much of the attention.
Thursday, after a Chick fil-a breakfast, Buddy took me to the DeKalb County courthouse in Decatur where I investigated old wills and documents related to the Loyds and our relatives. I came up with a few interesting tidbits, a few dead ends, and enough new leads to whet my appetite for another visit there.
This is the old courthouse. My research was in the new one.
Our special dinner Thursday evening was at The Colonnade and it was exceptional, right down to the Key Lime ice cream pie! I loaded up that night so I could leave right after breakfast. Daddy shared one of the kitchen sink muffins Judy had sent him. I got out of Atlanta before heavy rains caught up with me and made it home before dark. Even since I've been back home, Daddy has come up with some things for me to investigate, so expect one or more genealogy posts soon.

P.S. Did you notice 3 of my 4 pictures pertained to food?

No comments: