Friday, December 19, 2008

White Christmas? No. Singalong? Yes.

Christmas celebrations have been a long-standing tradition at Sandhills Farm Life School. I was grateful and thrilled to be invited back for the 2008 Christmas singalong. Two, actually. One for 3rd-5th grades, another for K-2nd. Both were superb and a wonderful spirit was evident among both students and staff.

I didn't get a lot of pictures because I was a participant in many of the numbers, but I will post what I have and try to "paint" a picture of the rest.
Each singalong included about half of our school's 525 student body and students participated enthusiastically. Some highlights were
  • Tone Chimes Choir-- similar to a handbell choir
  • 5th grade chorus
  • Mrs. Virginia Frye with a stirring rendition of "O Come, All Ye Faithful"
  • Miss McNeill brought the house down (so to speak) with "Let There Be Peace on Earth." She showed once again why parents, students, and staff are so lucky to have her leading the way. She sang from her heart and touched us all deeply.
  • Mrs. McFadyen's new Sign Language Club taught everyone how to sign "Silent Night" and "Jingle Bells"
  • Mrs. Bullard, our assistant principal, read "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" as the entire 5th grade plus staff paraded across the stage with icons, signs, or seasonal articles that matched the words being read. It was a great hit, and ought to become a 5th grade tradition!
  • Mrs. Heather Greisz led K-2 in the Reindeer Hokey Pokey. I wish had could have taped that! But I was glad to play for it.
  • Both groups did several singalongs with me, culminating in the entrance of the Man in Red! That would be Saint Nicholas, Santa Claus, Kris Kringle, Sinter Klaas, or whatever you prefer to call him.

I was impressed with the behavior of all the children, but also that they were so reverent and responsive to the songs which focused on Christ's birth. Our school has long been blessed by the Christian heritage exhibited by our community, and embraced by our principal and staff without apology.

I visited briefly in the office before leaving and it was wonderful to see old friends one more time before 2008 expires. You can imagine the warm fuzzy feelings I was enjoying. But to top it off, I noticed these words on the school sign as I was driving away. I had missed them when I arrived, but now I turned the car around and came back for a photo.

I think it caught my attention because it would have been just as appropriate placed in front of a church as a school. I like it a lot better than something like "Knowledge is Power." What better time than Christmas to acknowledge that what we believe, not just what we know should guide our lives.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love it! Volunteering is such a perfect fit for you!

And... sign language club!? Rock on SFL! I wish I could have seen all the stuff you got to see today.