Saturday, July 9, 2011

Two years ago Judy and I found a new friend down around our pear trees.  These first two pictures were snapped in September of '09.  This turtle was pretty shy.



Fast forward to yesterday, Friday, July 8.  I was looking out the kitchen window when I saw Kitty Cat "stalking" something about the size of a baby rabbit or 'possum.  But when I saw it start to move, I knew it was a turtle.

He was right in the middle of our field and really moving along.  But I had no choice but to make him a . . . guest until the grandbabies could see him.

Bri and Hunter came by on Friday to meet their new friend.

I was going to suggest naming the turtle "Speedy."  But come to think of it, that might be a better nickname for Hunter.

Bri was content to admire the turtle from a distance.

But we had to keep moving the turtle (or Hunter).  We were happy for the children to touch the turtle, but I think Hunter wanted to eat it.

This first video is "get-acquainted" time.

This one is strictly to show off "Speedy's" speediness.  Quite impressive.

In this one, Bri is really warming up to her new pal, and really chuckles at how he waves those legs.  If you're attentive, you'll catch her references to his unfortunate odor, which wasn't his fault.  And those are blackberries in his "cage," not, well, you know.

No, he's not a three-legged turtle.  I just caught him in mid-stride.  He must have been bred for racing. In fact, I could have held a turtle race.  It would've been fair with Claire and Bri on two legs and Hunter, Evan, and the turtle on four.  Don't know who would've won.

Claire and Evan made their courtesy call visit this morning (Saturday).  They were equally fascinated with our reptilian friend.

Claire didn't have to be begged to touch him. 


A kiss from Grandma is better than touching a turtle.


What other tricks can he do, Grandpa?

The show's over, and just as with my snakes, I don't like to keep the wild things in captivity longer than is educationally necessary.  So I asked Claire if she'd like to walk out in the field with me to release the turtle.  She was glad to.

Bye Turtle.  I love you.
True friends don't keep friends in boxes.  At least not for long.  And not without blackberries.
Final question:  This was definitely an Eastern Box Turtle.  But was it the same one as in the first two pictures, taken two years ago?  We may never know.  But if we're here long enough we'll have another turtle sighting one day.

No comments: