Monday, July 25, 2011

Up Mount Jefferson

This view of Mount Jefferson was in my previous blog.  Tuesday morning of our trip, after a delicious breakfast at our B&B, Judy and I headed up the mountain for some views and some hiking.

Parts of our mountaintop trail might prove too steep for many folks, but much of it was fairly level, following a ridge.

This "Warning" is included here for LIZ and others who casually risk their lives for "a better look."  What would we do without you?!

The main trail ends at Luther's Point, affording spectacular views in three directions, even on an overcast day.

All along the ridge we glimpsed many chestnut saplings.  Chesnuts were once one of the dominant hardwoods in the Appalachians, but since the infamous chestnut blight of the 1920's, the young trees don't survive to adulthood.

This stunted tree demonstrates the devastation of the blight.  It will grow no taller, and its wood is of little use.

Judy's sharp eyes spotted this marvel of the woodlands, Indian Pipe.  I first encountered it at Camp Cherokee, but from year to year it is unpredictable where it will appear.
to see some great photos and learn more about this unusual plant, which is also called Ghost Plant and Corpse Plant.

AAAGGHHH! SNAKE   SNAKE!
Oops.  My mistake.  A woodcarver cut notches in this log crossing the trail to provide traction if you step on it.  Such logs are often damp and slippery on mountain trails, so that was very thoughtful.  Unlike my cruel joke.

This neighboring mountain has a nice symmetry to it, as well, but not as famous as Mount Jefferson, apparently.  Location, location, location.

I don't normally get close to sheer dropoffs for photos.  My knees would get weak, my head would spin, and that might be the end of my blogging days.
But this was more of a "bounce and roll off," and I was brave enough to get this close.

There are hundreds of varieties of ferns, and I didn't recall seeing one just like this before.  Ferns, lichens, and fungi compete and survive well in this harsh mountain environment.

The one time I used the camera's self-timer, an unyielding wind gave me a mohawk look.  That's the last time I want to see that on me!

Now here is a sheer dropoff I wouldn't have photographed if I hadn't had the railing to stand behind.

This display identifies not-too-distant mountains that can be viewed from Mount Jefferson.  Click on the picture to enlarge it and learn some interesting facts.  Judy and I have been to Whitetop Mountain in Virginia.  The Virginia Creeper of the Norfolk & Western Railroad once crossed that peak, and it was the highest point on any railroad east of the Mississippi River.  Judy and I have plans to bike the Virginia Creeper trail in the future.

On a somewhat overcast day we couldn't identify the mountains with certainty, but the view was exhilirating, anyway.

Time to head down the mountain.
Next, we'll follow one of North Carolina's scenic byways along winding, scenic valleys to reach the old railroad town of Todd.  Coming soon.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh please. Anyone who knows you well knows you wouldn't scream if you saw a snake. :) Love these and can't wait to see the rest!