Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Jesus Was a Carpenter


I've always loved the simple but penetrating illustrations Jesus used to impart His truths to his disciples and other hearers. The fishermen understood "fishers of men," the shepherds identified with "the lost sheep of Israel," all were familiar with analogies about vineyards and sowing seeds. But Jesus Himself was a carpenter. In the last thirty years I have found it remarkable how many pastors I have known who were skilled at woodworking, most notably Rev. Max Gilmore, my first pastor here in Moore County. Whether these pastors made the connections or not, there are so many spiritual lessons to be found in wood, as in other commonplace things.


Though I am not a carpenter, I have been cutting firewood for thirty years now, and I rarely approach the woodpile with an ax or chainsaw without noting some object lesson. Today as I split my way through an imposing pile that included red oak, white oak, willow oak, hickory, poplar, gum, and more, I was reminded again of the distinguishing characteristics of each. In some ways they portray the qualities of people. Poplar splits easily, nice and straight with a light swing of the ax. But its soft wood burns up relatively quickly, flaming out before it should, and leaving no coals. In our woodstove we have to check poplar frequently and add to it before the stove becomes stone cold. It lacks the perseverance and steadfastness a Christian is called to exemplify. Hickory is heavy, hard, tough to split. It burns a long time, giving off its radiant heat, and even then, the coals remain for hours. That's like a Christian who can stand up to daily trials and claim the victory. Yet I don't think we're called to be like the hickory. It seems to have all the right "gifts" but can also be unyielding and stubborn. It goes its on way and relies on its own strength, which is ample. But I think one of the oak family provides the best balance. It's dense enough to burn hot, leaving some coals in reserve, but it is "submissive" enough to let itself be split for ready use without too much of a struggle. All of the trees (even Mimosa) have their positive qualities, but for a spiritual analogy, I'll choose oak. As Jane Mac said at Camp Cherokee in one of her devotionals, "Today's mighty oak is only yesterday's nut that stood its ground."

Have a favorite tree? I'm going to be writing some more about them. Let me know your thoughts.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I love this analogy!

Jennifer Kirby said...

Nice.

Cindy said...

Love this post! My favorite trees are the (don't laugh) the mimosa and the dogwood!

And why aren't acorns called oak nuts? Just a thought for you to ponder.

Ken Loyd said...

Good point. I'll start pondering right now. And BTW, how does a brown cow eat green grass and give white milk?

Cindy said...

My daughter wants to know why brown cows don't give chocolate milk!! Ha!