Saturday, August 2, 2008

Trees: To Hug or Not to Hug

Jack, Will, and Tom
Snuggle up to Jack, Will, and Tom and look skyward!
St. John, the Toilet Tree (use your imagination)

In general, I love trees. Growing up, about the only ones I knew were pine, oak, holly, and dogwood. But in high school biology I got really interested in leaf classification and the new hobby would serve me well as Nature Counselor at Camp Cherokee a few years later. Then, on our Sandhills Farm Life Nature Trail, I always enjoyed pointing out interesting trees. There were Jack, Will, and Tom, a poplar tree with three identical trunks orinating from one huge base. Jack, Will, and Tom were the three brothers in our popular Jack Tales. Students also loved St. John (the Toilet Tree), which had an interesting trunk that resembled a port-o-potty. Many looked forward to a snack from "Sourwood Sally," located in the Graveyard of the Pines. Most would at least try chewing up a leaf in the pioneer spirit, and some claimed to enjoy it.


All of these positive associations still do not make me claim to be a "tree hugger." I am thankful for trees, and consider them one of God's great multi-purpose blessings. They provide food and shelter for wildlife, oxygen for all, lumber, and firewood. Much better than a jungle gym for authentic climbing. And where else, praytell, would you locate a treehouse? With all that to love, what's NOT to love about trees? Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I do hope someone will continue to keep the nature trail up--what fun that was on your retirement night!!

Emy CAN'T wait to go again!!

Renee said...

I certainly enjoyed seeing these trees during the nature walk at your retirement party. I only wish I had gone other times, especially while Emma was in your class. Hopefully, we can go again soon.