Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy Labor Day Weekend from the King of the Slugs






















Yes, friends. By virtue of napping until 5:00 p.m. today (Sunday) I have earned the new title "King of the Slugs." Of course, I was up reading Gregor the Overlander until after midnight (thanks, Amanda--and I mean it). But isn't this what holiday weekends are for? I think so, and I hope all of you got a nap or at least enjoyed what you were doing today.

The pictures were taken on last evening's bike ride around Pinehurst. Above is the entrance to Fairwoods Pinehurst # 7 Golf Course (where the old World Golf Hall of Fame is, near the traffic circle).






















After free-wheeling through the entrance circle of the Carolina Hotel, I paused for the above shot of the grand old place. Diamondhead Corporation had once changed its name to the Pinehurst Hotel, but the current ownership, a more genteel and history-conscious bunch, reverted to its original moniker, The Carolina.





















Nearing dusk, I changed camera settings for this pic of the Sandhills Women's Exchange building. It is more than historic to our family. The building was actually the kitchen of the McKenzie family (Judy's great grandparents) in the late 19th century. The Tufts family who founded Pinehurst acquired this kitchen and had it moved here in the early days of the resort (around 1895) so that local women could display and demonstrate such crafts as spinning and weaving for a tourist population largely unacquainted with such things. Judy's Great Grandmother McKenzie demonstrated weaving at the nearby Carolina Hotel.

Biking is a great way to tour the village and "old town" of Pinehurst. The riding is level, leisurely, and safer than most county thoroughfares. Judy and I plan to put on a lot more miles up there during the fall. Come to think of it, when I think of all that pedaling yesterday, I don't feel like such a slug after all. How about "Slug Prince?"

No comments: