Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Post in Search of a Title

Greg and the Baghdad Bad Boys


I have no compelling topic to blog about today. I'm scared to title this "pots pourri" because if I blog for years this will probably be a recurring problem. So I'm just going to drop a few tidbits of what I've been doing the last couple of days.
  • Found a new home for the frogs (except the original--he dropped by to have Bible study with Judy last night) Thanks for all the helpful advice, blogmates!

  • Tuesday night was Greg's Jam at church and we had a good time. Ray went for the first time and made my old guitar sound better than I ever did!

  • Enjoyed Wednesday lunch with Amanda. She brought Italian Sausage Soup and Judy made cheese toast and coffee cinnamon bars--yum!
  • Thanked God for 3 and a half inches of rain (not just because it got me out of yardwork!). I was even more thankful that Georgia and western North Carolina got heavy rains. Their drought has been worse and more persistent than ours.

  • Enjoyed Wednesday night Bible Study. Finished up Ephesians with "the whole armor of God."

  • Began one of my periodic cleaning/reorganization efforts in the garage. With the woodpile 95% ready for winter, working in the garage is a never-ending task. But I love sorting and sifting through the stuff. I do get rid of some things, but just reorganizing and putting things in their proper place makes it worthwile. I turned on a box fan, listened to NPR's coverage of the Democratic convention, and kept cool as I worked. My main achievement was going through all my toolboxes and inventorying where everything was.

For my teacher friends, here's a Thursday 'Thought for the Day.'

Having a five-day week to start the year must be a mental drain on you as a teacher. With that in mind, put yourself in the place of your students. The length of the school day is exaggerated even more in their minds. And when teachers have pull-out, the kids are still in a learning situation. For those third graders who had to take the EOG Pre-test this week it's been a particular challenge, for certain. My point is, do something purely for fun Friday afternoon. It's a trade-off that reaps rich dividends. Just for the children to see that school is not all work, no play, encourages them and makes them more productive when it is worktime. Okay, okay, I know . . . you already had a video selected, didn't you! Well, you ALL deserve it! And just to show I mean it, there'll be no faculty meeting next Monday (ha,ha).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When cleaning out the garage, do you REALLY throw anything away?!?!?

Ken Loyd said...

As much as I hate to add to the overflowing landfills, YES, I occasionally throw something away. But right now I'm focusing on some old houseware/kitchenware items that we'll give away.