Friday, August 8, 2008

Welcome to Pinehurst! Er. . . Taylortown!?



Anytime we return from a trip from points westward, we come back in town on Highway 211. No matter how much we enjoy a trip, Judy and I both love coming back home. She misses washing clothes and mopping and I miss cutting grass and splitting firewood. There are some things you just can't do on vacation. I have recently discovered that I have a subliminal reason to perk up as we re-enter our home turf. It's all about three little signs on the roadside very near the Taylortown traffic light. Three well-known civic groups have had their signs posted there on 211 for years, welcoming folks to Pinehurst (or possibly Taylortown, which is technically right across the asphalt). The signs are for the Kiwanis, Rotary, and Lions Clubs. The subliminal angle applies to very few folks, but I am one. My full name is Kenton Russell Loyd, initials K R L. That's right, the same initials as the signs for those three illustrious community service clubs. The K and L are especially prominent. The Rotary sign doesn't have an R, but that's a minor technicality. So I believe that on all those trips when I have returned to Pinehurst/Taylortown, my subconscious was registering those signs, whether I knew it or not, and the message to me was personal: "Welcome home Kenton Russell Loyd!" Out of many civic organizations, the three with a message to me, even arranged in the proper order, are the ones that chose that location. Just chance? I don't think so. I couldn't have blogged on this topic if Pinehurst had an Oddfellows group. Funny, that's the one I probably would have joined.

3 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

Classic!

Amanda said...

How did you get to be so lucky? I'll have to start watching for my own road signs...

Ken Loyd said...

Amanda, in certain circles the Appalachian Trail is known lovingly as the A. T. Claim it! I can't work in the "L" though. Jennifer, don't know about JK or JDK.