Saturday, October 8, 2011

Moore County's Family Promise: A Worthy Charity

Thursday night I was delighted to provide keyboard
entertainment for Family Promise's fundraiser
at the Pinehurst Fair Barn.

According to their website http://www.familypromiseofmoorecounty.org/
Family Promise is "a non-profit agency dedicated to alleviating homelessness in Moore County, North Carolina."
Here are some facts from their website that I find pertinent and shocking, facts that demand a response from our citizenry:

*The average age of a homeless person is nine years old.


*Recent estimates state that 1 in 50 children in the United States are homeless.


*Poverty and the lack of affordable housing are the principal causes of family homelessness.


*In Moore County, 18% of children live in poverty.

Hundreds of supporters gathered at the Fair Barn
 for the annual fund-raising event.

I was invited to provide music for the second year.
A nice keyboard was provided, saving me a lot of time and trouble.

 A professional DJ took care of the sound system
 and provided recorded music when I took a break.

About a dozen Moore County restaurants
provided scrumptious food samples at
tables all around the spacious barn.

Did I mention "spacious?"  I love this place!

Of course, the dessert table was popular.

I know it seems like the evening was all about
the silent auction, fine food, and entertainment.

But believe me, the barn was full of some
of the most caring, compassionate
folks in Moore County.

In 2009, Family Promise of Moore County provided 2,745 nights of shelter to 68 individuals, including 49 children. It is one of many worthy agencies supported by United Way of Moore County.  I encourage you to see how you might get involved in this or other family-friendly organizations in our community.  The need is great.

No comments: