Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick-or-Treat II

I have always loved Halloween, and as a kid
I loved our school Halloween carnival almost
as much as trick-or-treating.  For one thing, it
was always all day long on a Saturday.  It included
all kinds of games, a country store (my first yard
sale), the SPOOK HOUSE, and more.  In Atlanta,
I came across this poster I had created when I was
in 5th grade: The Skyland School Carnival.  Note
the lettering-- Daddy had brought home a special
alphabet stencil from work for the "shadow" effect.


Of course, to get Frankenstein right, I had
to practice over and over and over and over.

I continued to love Halloween fun during
my teaching career.  I blogged a couple of
years ago about funny epitaphs and that blog
still gets a lot of hits from around the world,
especially at Halloween.  Here are some
in case you haven't seen them. 

I had fun encouraging my students to make
up their own humorous epitaphs, then draw
a variety of tombstones.  Students would
embellish their "graveyards" with hands
coming up from the graves, bones or skulls
lying about, dead trees with bats and owls,
and so on.  I'm sure you can imagine.
Happy Halloween.  Be sure to read the posts
just before and just after this one.

No comments: