Friday, October 7, 2011

Serendipity en francaise

A while back I did a blog about "serendipity."  I concluded that God's timing trumps mere coincidence, and can be observed quite frequently if we are alert. 

I have been planning to donate some French textbooks and novels from the 1940's to a local French class, and this week I got my chance.  These books belonged to Francis "Ike" Wilhoit, relative of Judy who passed away a couple of years ago.  Ike had an illustrious career.  Following service in World War II, he earned three degrees at Harvard University, graduating Phi Beta Kappa.
He was in the same class as Dr. Henry Kissinger and Zbignew Brezynski.

As a professor of Political Science and Anthropology at Mercer University and Drake University, he also taught himself French, the language of international diplomacy.  He was also an accomplished pianist and loved music.

When my friend and former student Susannah Wagner mentioned a French genealogy project on Facebook, I inquired about whether I might donate thes books to her class.  Susannah checked into it for me and her teacher, Madame Freeman, accepted my offer.  I headed to Pinecrest High School the next day and went to the office with my box of books.  It turned out that Madame Freeman's daughter works in the school office, having just begun the job this past Monday.  She was thrilled to see the books and said she and her mother had just had a conversation about donating her books . . . someday.  She summoned her mother to the office where she was enthralled at the collection.  My particular favorite was a 1931 Tourist's Guide to Paris, including advertisements for French shops, businesses, and restaurants of that era.

I also learned that Madame Freeman is actually a native of France!  She has been teaching at Pinecrest since the late 1970's.  Wow.  I couldn't possibly have found a better home for those books, one where I am confident they will be cared for and shared.

But is it serendipity?  I don't know about that.

No comments: