Monday, February 27, 2012

A Loyd Family Reunion: February 19, 2012

If you're a friend of the Loyd family but
not a family member, a glance at this first
picture might be enough to satisfy your
curiosity.  Then again, so many of my 
friends are like family, maybe you'll want
to keep reading.  If you do, I think you'll 
really enjoy the end.

This Loyd reunion was planned only three
weeks ago, and many of our youngest 
generation were not present.  But my
Mama Loyd's two surviving children and
six out of seven grandchildren were there,
as well as some new members of the family.

I won't identify everyone in this photo, though I
know a couple of friends who are going to inquire.
Some will be named in pictures that follow.

By a happy coincidence, my Aunt Frances was
celebrating her 84th birthday on this very day.
Since Daddy will be 98 in May, Frances is
still "baby sister" to him.

We had representatives of four generations to
sing and wish Frances a happy birthday.

Her daughter Vickie had thoughtfully arranged
the candles very close together.

Frances with her children Stan and Vickie,
my cousins.


Frances resignedly passes an old photo of mine to her
 youngest grandchild Lana and her new husband Phillip.
Why those gleeful expressions?

Well, it turns out Frances didn't know I had that
picture.  It's a four generation picture with Mama
Loyd (my grandmother) at Daytona Beach.

Here's the proof:  Mama Loyd had proudly
identified everyone on the back.


After an ample lunch at Picadilly Cafeteria in Chamblee,
Georgia, more photos were pulled out and passed about.
Here we're picking out those folks we know in a photo
of my home church, Prospect Methodist (now Chamblee
First United Methodist).  The occasion was the church's
125th anniversary in 1951-- two years before my birth.
I'll post it at a later date.

Vickie had plenty of pictures of the most recent
wedding to show us all.

Pictures are memories.  And sometimes we can
understand things we never knew before.

My dad, Marvin Loyd and his sister Frances are
delighted to have their pictures taken with these
fine young men.  Their mother is Anita and their
Grandpa is my cousin Terry.
Now let's take a step back in time
to put this reunion in perspective.
This is Mama and Papa Loyd in December
1963, at home on their 50th anniversary.

With Mama and Papa Loyd are their four children.
(L to R) Frances, Raymond, Herman, and Marvin.

All the grandchildren-- 49 years ago.  Starting on  the
left: (front) Stan, (back) Terry, Annette (unable to
attend this year), my big brother Ellis ("Buddy"),
Vickie, Me (Ken), and my younger sister Caryn.

Now roll 'em all together and you have the whole
Loyd clan in 1963.  This picture includes the spouses.

Fast forward 20 years and look what happened.
Actually this was probably 1984, based on Amanda
being born in December 1982.  Help me out, family.

Since I'm playing fast and loose with time
travel, let's zoom back before those last two
generations came into the world.  Here are
my grandparents, Joseph Carl Loyd and
Ethel Linnie Wright Loyd.  I would say they
got it all started, but as a genealogist, I know
they just kept it going.  And in future blogs
I'll detail those who came before for anyone
who is interested.  If you got this far, thank
you for your attention.  And if you did, you're
definitely considered family!








1 comment:

Amanda said...

Well, Brianna loved this blog! She only wanted to see all the pictures of Grandpa Loyd but then when she "met" Papa Loyd she wanted to scroll through each picture of him and point him out. Very cute :)